Okay, so I was not exactly expecting this to be a straightforward video and I was more than correct. The first time I watched it, I sat on my couch, straining my brain to understand what the video was trying to tell me.

Watching it a second time actually gave me way more insight into what she was even talking about but there are still clips that I do not understand. The video animations of city landscapes and human silhouettes, as well as the people with boxes on their heads made me feel like I was in a weird dream. The clips of the cityscape is bizarre because it looks like a construction blueprint of a condominium but in motion.

Although the graphics don’t make sense at some points, I think I understand the gist of what she’s touching on.  How does one disappear from this world, but still exist? In media, online, in photographs or video games is where you can still exist in a plethora of ways. It seems to be a reference to surveillance and media and the idea of privacy being intervened by these platforms.

So, with this video she shows us how to disappear even though we’re so heavily connected to the internet and media. In realizing this might be what she’s intending, it made me understand how hard it really is to disappear, going a day without being surveilled anywhere, knowing I can even be surveilled at school.

So how do I disappear from this constant reach into my privacy and my identity?

Watch Hito Steryl’s video.