UW Tacoma Faculty Assembly

March 14, 2024

Executive Council Representative of the Month: Julia Eaton

The Faculty Assembly is starting this web column to celebrate the outstanding service contributions made by our faculty governance leaders and recognize their fine accomplishments with the whole campus community. 

Three Executive Council members are recognized this month. The Faculty Assembly office had an opportunity to interview one of our Executive Council Representatives. Let’s hear their story. 

More stories will be coming!

Julia Eaton  

Associate Professor 

School of Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences 

Faculty Governance Experience 

I am currently serving my 3rd year as a representative of SIAS on Executive Council. I am on the ad hoc safety committee. I previously served 3 years as co-coordinator of the math program, within the Sciences and Mathematics division in SIAS. 

1.  What motivated you to serve in Faculty Governance? 

Much of my service prior to serving was focused at the major and division level within my school. From this, I learned the importance of faculty voice in campus issues. My goal in serving on Executive Council has been to work on faculty issues at a campus level. I was especially interested in collaborating with faculty across units and gaining a clearer perspective of how UWT functions. 

2. What valuable experiences did you gain by serving for faculty governance? 

I have a much better understanding of the functioning of our campus and how it fits into the tricampus system. 

3. What advice would you give for Faculty interested in being a part of Faculty Governance? 

Each representative comes with different viewpoints and training; this diversity of perspective is valuable when considering which issues to give our attention. Everyone has something to offer. My main advice is the same advice we often give our students—ask a lot of questions. 

4. When did you join University of Washington Tacoma?   

I’ve been with UW Tacoma since 2011.