Frequently Asked Questions

What is this?

This website documents the Issei at Barneston Project, an NSF-funded doctoral dissertation research project investigating the daily lives of early 20th century Japanese immigrant and Japanese American sawmill town workers at Barneston, Washington.

Who is involved in this project?

The Principal Investigator is Sara Gonzalez, and the co-Principal Investigator and Project Director is David Carlson. Because David is a graduate student, and the PI must be a qualified professional archaeologist, Sara Gonzalez acts as the project PI. For information on consultants, paid workers, and volunteers, see the People section of this site!

How often do you update?

I’m aiming to update about once a month, though that may be reduced to once every two months during particularly busy times. I may also perform minor updates, to fix images or wordsmith previous posts.

Where are the images or detailed discussions of artifacts?

Due to landowner concerns over looting, we have agreed to not publicize images of artifacts on this blog, nor will we describe any artifacts in great detail. This blog will focus more on the history of the site, the archival research, and the process of archaeological research.

Can I comment on posts?

Yes, for the most part. Some posts don’t allow comments, but most posts with content about the site (background information, descriptions of methods, etc.) will allow commenting. Comments are moderated; I will do my best to stay on top of approving individual comments in a timely manner (ideally, within 24 hours). I do not yet have a specific comment policy, though I will endeavor to develop one in the future.

If your comment doesn’t appear within 24 hours, or you cannot comment on a particular post (but wish to do so), feel free to shoot me an email about it! You can reach me at davidrcn[at]uw.edu.

How is the project funded?

The IABP is currently being funding through a National Science Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant (Grant #1743498). Prior to this, the project received pilot study funding from the University of Washington Department of Anthropology.

I’m interested in asking questions/volunteering/finding out more information. How can I contact you all?

That’s great to hear! You can contact the co-PI and director, David Carlson, via email at davidrcn[at]uw.edu