Working with students is one of the best parts of my job. It’s a privilege to work and learn alongside of my students.
Student Researchers at UW
I often work with a number of students at UW Tacoma and UW Seattle on research projects. If you are an undergraduate student at UW Tacoma or an undergraduate or graduate in Human Centered Design & Engineering, reach out for current opportunities or openings.
Graduate Student Advising
I sit on Masters and PhD committees for students at UW and beyond. If you are interested in working together, please reach out. Send me an overview of your project, your timeline, and why you think I would make a good addition to your committee. I have limited availability to take on new graduate students at this time, but you are welcome to reach out if you believe our research areas overlap.
Recommendation letters and references
I get asked to write and give recommendations for students quite a bit. I am happy to do so if I am familiar with your work, have had you as a student in my classes (preferably more than 1 class), and I can strongly advocate for you.
If you are requesting a written recommendation, here’s what I need from you:
- A description of the program/job/opportunity
- Your personal essay, statement, or cover letter
- What areas of your application you believe that I can speak to (what do you think I should emphasize)
- All the details of how to submit the information: the deadline, the address/website, etc.
- At least 1 month before it’s due (maybe longer during especially busy times)
If I cannot write you a strong letter, or if I do not have the time, I’ll communicate that to you. My advice here is to start early and don’t leave it to the last minute.
I always appreciate hearing how it went, so please reach out and let me know!