Review: ‘Parasite’ is an Oscar-Worthy Hit from Bong Joon-ho

I love Bong Joon-ho. Snowpiercer, the first film of his that I watched, and Mother are both awesome films in my opinion, and although I didn’t like Okja that much due to its wasted potential, I was still intrigued to see what he would do next once I saw it. Parasite was not what I expecting from him. It is a comedy film, but a very realistic one, focusing on complex social issues. This was kind of the opposite of what everyone expected him to do next. On top of that, it wasn’t just good, it was fantastic.

The Cannes-winning film is Bong’s first since 2006’s The Host to feature an all-Korean cast, playing two very different families – the rich, successful Park family, and the financially destitute but much closer Kim family, the latter being the main protagonists. The plot follows the Kim family: bumbling dad Kim Ki-taek, downer mom Kim Chung-sook, nerdy son Kim Ki-woo, and artsy daughter Kim Ki-jung, who are in financial ruin and living in a shabby apartment, working low-paying gigs week in and week out. The narrative and conflict don’t really kick in, however, until Ki-woo’s friend tells him about an opportunity: to work as a tutor for the Park clan.

Once he gets his job, the rest of the family trickles in to the mansion – each of them showcasing their talents to please Mr. Park and get paid to help around the house. This leads to where the film really shines – the setup in the first two thirds, which is highly entertaining, with the script and cameras effortlessly steering in some great physical, oral, and visual humor throughout. It’s not only the jokes that make it stand out – it’s the fact that the characters are relatable to the audience when they’re engaging in this humor that really make it different from many comedies today. The cast shines in various situations, and each of them own their characters, which is a vast improvement from Okja’s wooden acting.

Without spoiling too much, the narrative says a lot about class differences in today’s South Korea, and the film’s finale is a culmination of great writing and even greater humor. The film is able to make obviously fake emotions seem natural, which is a gift that Bong has been able to do in a lot of his films. This is a film with such great comedic and dramatic moments, ones that really hit you in the feels. In this sense, the film’s expressive dexterity is unexpectedly skilled.

The one thing that didn’t surprise me was how detailed the editing, cinematography and the set design all were. The difference between rich and poor, the associated life of every figure, and much more is shown more than clearly and with so much unexpected attention to detail. It produces so many beautiful shots that I would have liked to capture forever. The same is true for the soundtrack, which together with the visuals, creates an amazing atmosphere. The crew really knew what they were doing. Parasite is Bong Joon-ho’s greatest masterpiece. And, honestly, one of my favorite movies of the year. With awards season coming soon, it’s a dead ringer.

5/5 STARS