Review: ‘Black and Blue’ is a Pleasant Surprise

Given that I was coming in with expectations that Black and Blue would be a lazy disaster trying to cash in on a political movement that it didn’t actually care about, I was pleasantly surprised by the film. By no means is it a work of art, but it is reminiscent of a type of action movie you would find in a Redbox in the early 2010’s. Black and Blue follows rookie cop Alicia (Naomie Harris) as she tries to expose a group of corrupt cops in her precinct with the help of a Mouse (Tyrese Gibson), a total stranger.

The plot is simple and easy to follow, clearly setting up expectations and giving the characters, while basic, understandable motivation and good dynamics between each other. The actors are perfectly suited to play their parts and fulfill every expectation. The sets are a good depiction of a gritty New Orleans, and the graffiti seen on some buildings is beautiful at times. However, Black and Blue falls short on its action and violence, which are tame for today’s standards. The themes are intense and topically relevant, but it never felt pandering or aimed for a certain side; it was only a pleasant romp of a cop action movie.

The critiques I can offer of the film are of its mediocrity. Nothing special is done with the cinematography or the lighting, the story and characters are bare bones, and there is nothing to think about after the credits roll. Every single character is, or begins as, a complete asshole, which is a pretty pessimistic stance for Black and Blue to take. It is strange to say for a movie like this, but its charm comes from its predictability. It is a clear cut “cop action” genre film with an inclusive twist. It is hard to be upset while watching the film unless you come in with your own prejudice. The film will be forgotten in a short time after its release, but I also would not mind picking it up again if I saw it in the discount bin of a Walmart.

I can attribute most of my enjoyment to the enthusiastic audience in the theater. Hearing people clap and holler for a popcorn movie really makes it so much better as an experience. The amount of enjoyment this film can give you is entirely determined by the state you are in while watching, because Black and Blue is too neutral to have the ability to make you feel anything or come to a conclusion. If you came in looking for something to hate, you will hate it. If you come into it with low expectations and have enthusiastic people watching with you, the experience can be 5/5 stars. If I’m being as objective as possible, this film is not bad. Black and Blue follows enough patterns to qualify as an above average film, but the lack of depth and care is apparent and really takes away from its possibility to be more. While I question why anyone would want this film to be more than it is, I have to admit that it’s a good bar for any film to reach before being considered entertaining.

3/5 STARS