Maddie McDougall’s Top Ten Films of 2019

2019 was perhaps the first year where I was very cognizant of recent releases and the films that were most likely going to be up for the big awards; The Oscars, the Globes, etc. I have always been a huge proprietor of watching these award shows every year, but now I have actually seen enough of them to feel as if I can truly understand the struggles that go into narrowing down such competitive categories. 2019 proved to be a fantastic year for me to begin my journey into the world of film as it was filled to the brim with top of the line films and performances to populate the lineup for the 2020 award season. My full list of 2019 films ranked can be found here. Without further ado, in honor of the upcoming 92nd Academy Awards ceremony, here is my list of the top 10 films of 2019. Enjoy.

10. Waves (Trey Edward Schultz, 2019)

It can be said that this film hits you like, well, a wave. This film follows the story of a pair of siblings as they navigate the woes, both common and not so common, of adolescence set against a beautiful dreamscape. This film left me feeling absolutely gutted and the narrative is unlike anything that I have seen. The events of the story truly took me by surprise, which is something that I haven’t been able to say about many films recently. Each performance is a powerhouse in and of itself and each actor and actress acts like the Atlas of their individual storylines; and they carry the burden well.

You can read Rohan Patel’s full review of Waves here.

9. Peanut Butter Falcon (Tyler Nilson, Michael Schwartz, 2019)

In a market saturated with blockbusters about killer clowns, war, and just about any other tragedy one can imagine, this is the perfect heartwarming palate cleanser. This is a film that is meant to make you feel warm. Written by Tyler Nilson and Michael Schwartz for their friend Zack Gottsagen to star in, this is a movie about pure friendship. It showcases the importance of portraying different perspectives whilst keeping a distance from the typical stereotypes that may accompany them. Plus, the story is set against a rocking sickly sweet bluegrass soundtrack to put a smile on just about anyone’s face. Needless to say, I’d invite Zak, Tyler, and Eleanor to my birthday party in a heartbeat.

You can read Greg Arietta’s full review of Peanut Butter Falcon here.

8. Midsommar (Ari Aster, 2019)

Oftentimes when a filmmaker starts their career with a near perfect feature, some may begin to doubt their ability to follow it up. After the release of 2018’s highly (highly) acclaimed Hereditary, Ari Aster showed that there was much more he had to give to the horror genre… and he did it with pastels. Aster’s story is, outwardly, an innocent story of a group of visitors coming to a midsummer celebration amidst a picturesque rural Swedish landscape. Underneath it all, however, is a truly gruesome and unnerving tale whose visuals often contradict the tone of the narrative. In a genre so greatly defined by visual gore and horror, Aster’s work goes so defiantly against the grain that it is difficult to group it among any other film of its kind. I for one cannot wait to see the next installment of the cinematic universe of women screaming poetically that Aster has crafted.

You can read Cynthia Li’s full review of Midsommar here and listen to UW Film Club’s podcast on Midsommar here.

7. Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)

Since Taika Waititi’s surge in popularity with the wildly successful Thor: Ragnarok in 2017, I have seen much debate about the proper pronunciation of Waititi’s last name. Many say that it is pronounced Taika “why-tee-tee” but I have been saying it as Taika “Why-can’t-you-be-my-best-friend” since I saw this film. There is so much about this movie that is simply genius. Among a crowd of other films that attempt to make quasi-political statements, this is one that stands out to me against the rest. Waititi’s writing and direction is witty, emotional, and simply gutting. This is not even to mention the near perfect performances delivered by each of the members of this all-star cast. There is a reason Roman Griffin Davis was nominated for Best Actor at the Golden Globes. Keep in mind that he’s 12.

You can read Ajay Rawat’s full review of Jojo Rabbit here and listen to UW Film Club’s podcast on Jojo Rabbit here.

6. Booksmart (Olivia Wilde, 2019)

Sitting in the theater watching this film for the first time left me feeling so many emotions it was hard for me to pick just one. What I did know is that I saw so much of myself and the sanctity of my most valued friendships in this film. Olivia Wilde manages to capture the beauty of friendship in such a touching and enjoyable way; not to mention the uncanny reflection of adolescent life in high school that so many modern teenagers experience. It takes a truly great script to have an audience in stitches one moment and in tears in another. This is certainly a promising start to Wilde’s directorial career.

You can read Megan Bernovich’s full review of Booksmart here and listen to UW Film Club’s podcast on Booksmart here.

5. Little Women (Greta Gerwig, 2019)

Allow me to set the scene. It’s a McDougall family gathering at my aunt’s house. I was probably around four and didn’t have an excellent attention span, as is the case for most four-year-olds. At some point in the night, I became impatient and demanded to watch something, anything. My aunt plopped me down in her room with a VHS copy of the 1994 version of Little Women and I was absolutely hooked (even though I probably didn’t understand 80% of the plot at that point). This iteration of the beloved story is so different and is such an inventive take that I believe is crucial for women, particularly young girls, today. I left the theater feeling that this is what I wanted to teach my kids, that they can do anything and that no matter what anyone else tells them, they are important. To top it all off, the classic tale of family and love is the heartwarming tale I believe we all need to brighten up our day from time to time.

You can read Stephanie Chuang’s full review of Little Women here.

4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino, 2019)

From the moment the first trailer for this film premiered, I could feel that it would become one of my favorites. This film is choc-full of so many things that I absolutely love. Westerns. Great acting. The 60’s. Fashion. Comedy. Drama. A groovy soundtrack. A dog!! It’s no wonder I absolutely love this film. Every time I watch it is just pure fun, even despite the nearly three-hour runtime. And that my friends is how you know something is worth the watch.

You can read Jim Saunders’ full review of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood here and listen to UW Film Club’s podcast on Once Upon a Time in Hollywood here.

3. Parasite (Bong Joon-Ho, 2019)

I am ashamed to admit that it took me this long to really dive into the world of foreign films. If this is what has been waiting for me all along, then I am truly a fool. I cannot quite pin down the exact reason that this film is so fantastic. All I know is the way that it made me feel. And that, in a word, was anxiety – but in the best way. Who needs cardio when you could be watching this movie? I’m sure that if I had been wearing my watch at the time I could have correlated the spikes in my heart rate to exact moments in the film. And that’s how you craft a tale of suspense. If you are apprehensive of watching a film with subtitles, I promise you it is worth every moment.

You can read Joe Lollo’s full review of Parasite here and listen to UW Film Club’s podcast on Parasite here.

2. Rocketman (Dexter Fletcher, 2019)

I cannot say enough about this film right here. I guess the best way I could sum up my feelings about it is by saying that I saw this movie in theaters five separate times. I told everyone that they absolutely needed to see this film. As in the words of Nostradamus in the musical Something Rotten, “There’s nothing as amazing as a musical.” My question is, who doesn’t enjoy a good musical? Especially when that music is Elton John! The fantastical nature of it all grounded against the very real and very visceral struggles Elton John faced in his rise to fame draws the audience into his story and drags them through his ups and downs right alongside him. From the first time seeing this film I knew that it was something special. Maybe it’s because it made me feel special. I saw a lot of myself in Elton; someone who was made to feel uncomfortable in their own skin because of their quirks or eccentricities. This is a story about friendship, love, and, most importantly, learning to love and accept yourself. This film taught me how to finally be okay with strange.

1. Honey Boy (Alma Har’el, 2019)

Every once in a while a film will come along that is so emotionally charged that it is impossible not to feel the catharsis that went into creating it. Honey Boy is one such film. Following a troubled set of years, the infamous Shia LaBeouf entered rehab to heal from an alcohol addiction and begin treatment for PTSD. It is during this time that he wrote the script for this film as a part of his therapy. Collaborating with visionary director, Alma Har’el (on what would be her debut narrative feature), the team created what can only be described as a visual construction of therapy. Har’el has said that she created this story for all of her “brothers and sisters” in strife. The story perfectly captures the dichotomy of the human condition and the flaws that are inherent in our nature. It is a lesson that is important to remember wrapped up within a heartrending story that will leave you needing a few days to properly process it all, if you’re anything like me.

You can read my full review of Honey Boy here.