Sarah Kelley’s Top 10 Films of 2022

2022 was the greatest year for cinema since COVID, and that has a lot to do with the fact theaters stayed open the full 12 months. Despite worries from top theater chains, it seems that a few years of at-home streaming has not led to the downfall of the classic cinema experience. I mean, Avatar: The Way of Water made $2 billion worldwide, people are clearly still spending money on movie tickets.

For the first full year of releases uninterrupted by shutdowns, Hollywood delivered. Many long-awaited sequels came out this year, as well as some unexpected original gems. Once again, seeing the Oscar nominations list only serves as a reminder to how much I missed, but I really tried this year. Between my newfound appreciation for indie and arthouse cinema, and my Regal Unlimited subscription, I swear 2023 will be the year I finally see a majority of the new releases. But for now, here’s 10 of the movies I did manage to see last year, and thoroughly enjoy. 

10. Turning Red dir. Domee Shi

Pixar released two films in 2022, one direct to Disney+, and one with a traditional theatrical release. And, as cute as Sox from Lightyear is, it should have been the other way around. Turning Red dives into the complexities of adolescence and intergenerational trauma, while still maintaining the lighthearted, fantastical plotlines that have come to define Pixar. Turning Red, much like last year’s Luca (dir. Enrico Casarosa) shows that when directors are able to embrace their heritage and tell their authentic stories, they can make wonderful films. Rather than beating the dead Toy Story horse, I would love to see Pixar take some creative leaps and diversify their behind-the-scenes talent. Meilin and her friends and family deserved to be able to tell their story on a big screen, and despite the awards recognition the film received, I wish there could have been more. 

9. The Batman dir. Matt Reeves

Look, like it or not, in my brain, Robert Pattinson will forever be Edward from Twilight. I’m not even a Twilight fan, and yet that sparkly vampire will forever be what I associate with his name. So when I heard he was next in line to be the Caped Crusader, I was more than a little skeptical. Add to that DC’s hit or miss relationship with the big screen in the last five years, I didn’t think the new Batman would be good. Luckily, I was wrong. A dark, gritty, noir-like Gotham was the perfect setting for this version of the character to inhabit. Batman has been appearing in Detective Comics since the 1930s, but it’s been a while since I’ve seen a cinematic rendition of the character that embraces that aspect. This Batman, while still fighting the typical cast of villains, is a hard-boiled detective. The Riddler is no longer a silly little dude in a green suit, he is a serial killer leading a group of incels to violence. The Penguin trades his flock of feathered felons for a mafia style crime ring, complete with their own speakeasy style lounge. Gone are the days of billionaire philanthropist Bruce Wayne, Pattinson’s rendition of the famed alter-ego is an eyeliner-wearing, Nirvana listening, moody shell of a man. This feels like a step in the right direction for the character; I am happy to see that The Batman Part II found a place in James Gunn’s new vision for the DCEU. 

You can read Spencer’s review of The Batman here.

8. Puss in Boots: The Last Wish dir. Joel Crawford

An animated sequel to a movie that came out in 2011, and a surprising new addition to the SCU (Shrek Cinematic Universe) really has low expectations. I only went to see this movie because everyone I talked to said it was incredible. And they were right. Recent animated movies have been taking bigger risks and tackling more complex subjects, and Puss in Boots is no exception. A moving story about love, friendship, greed, and accepting your own mortality, Puss in Boots genuinely made me tear up a little. Can’t wait to see Shrek 5! 

7. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever dir. Ryan Coogler

The Marvel Cinematic Universe had some incredible television series over on Disney+ this year, but their box office offerings were more than a little lackluster. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and Thor: Love and Thunder both failed to deliver what audiences wanted from those films: more expansion on the next epic saga, and the answer to what lies beyond the multiverse. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever had a much more somber and difficult task than the other phase 4 films, namely saying goodbye to a beloved actor and character. Chadwick Boseman sadly passed away in 2020, and Marvel stated that they would not be recasting the character of T’Challa. This choice changed the original plan for the Black Panther sequel, but Ryan Coogler still knocked it out of the park. Angela Bassett did the thing, delivering the first Marvel performance to get an acting Oscar nod. Tenoch Huerta and Dominique Thorne also gave incredible performances as Namor and Riri Williams respectively.  The VFX artists diverted from other Marvel projects, while disappointing for those films, paid off with the spectacular imaginings of Talokan and Wakanda. Overall, Wakanda Forever perfectly balanced saying goodbye to Chadwick Boseman while also ushering in a new era for Wakanda, and the MCU in general. I am curious as to when we will see these characters again, but I know I won’t be disappointed.

You can read Malia’s review of Black Panther: Wakanda Forever here.

6. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery dir. Rian Johnson

Once again, Rian Johnson knocked it out of the park with the second installment of the Knives Out series. Despite the unfortunate lack of Chris Evans, Glass Onion delivers the same comedic vibes, and cast chemistry, as its predecessor. The story beats, humor, and twists were all perfectly timed and designed to keep the viewer guessing. Also, this is the only movie I have seen that mentions COVID and doesn’t make me visibly cringe. As long as Rian Johnson and Daniel Craig want to keep making these movies, I will keep watching them. Please give me more of my silly little gay detective giving rich assholes exactly what is coming to them. 

You can read Abbey’s review of Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery here.

5. The Menu dir. Mark Mylod

Speaking of rich assholes, The Menu is a film for anyone who has ever worked in food service. What on the surface appears to be an exclusive trip to a high-end restaurant quickly turns into a nightmare, when the chef seems to have more planned than serving an elegant meal. A laugh-out-loud horror story, The Menu delivers a perfect atmosphere of elegant dining and social commentary. With standout performances from Anya Taylor-Joy and Ralph Fiennes, it is sure to become a cult classic for fans of black comedy. 

4. Top Gun: Maverick dir. Joseph Kosinski

I didn’t like the original Top Gun. However, the long-delayed sequel surpassed my (arguably very low) expectations. Director Joseph Kosinski has done the impossible: made a movie where Tom Cruise admits he’s getting older. And the surprises don’t end there. Top Gun: Maverick distinguishes itself from the original by including a female fighter pilot, and by not playing “Take my Breath Away” every 30 seconds. Despite these (welcome) differences, Maverick still has everything your dad wants from a top gun movie: nausea-inducing action, semi-homoerotic sports sequences, and “Highway to the Danger Zone.” It may be military propaganda, but it’s also incredible filmmaking. 

You can read Luke’s review of Top Gun: Maverick here.

3. Nope dir. Jordan Peele

Please keep giving Jordan Peele money to make movies. Seriously, anything he wants to make, he should get to make it. On the surface, Nope is a cautionary tale of alien invasion. But, more than that, the film is about spectacle and the societal exploitation of Black bodies for entertainment. Unfortunately, Nope didn’t receive any Academy nominations this year, which I feel is a mistake. Between the incredible performances, hysterical script, and out of this world effects, it deserved more than nothing. Nope will forever be a best picture contender in my heart, and I will remember it fondly whenever I see a wacky, wavy inflatable tube man. 

2. Women Talking dir. Sarah Polley

A poignant and emotional film, Women Talking delivers incredible performances and social commentary on religion, feminism and sexual assault. In a time where women’s bodies are under attack by alt-right extremists, it is more important than ever to realize the collective power of women’s voices. Accomplished director and writer Sarah Polley portrays a deep, intimate understanding of how women communicate, and how difficult it can be to walk away from everything you know. Ben Whishaw delivers a powerful performance as August, a character that could have easily become the “not all men” guy, but instead delivers a nuanced perspective of the difficulties of being a bystander in a position of patriarchal power. The focus on the dialogue drives the emotional plot forward, and gives each woman a standout moment to say her piece. A quieter Best Picture nominee when compared to the flashy effects of the Avatar and Top Gun sequels, yet with a message all the more important. 

1. Everything Everywhere All at Once dir. Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert

This is not an original number one film of 2022. But it is on the top of so many lists for a very good reason. As someone who has grown up with superheroes, and always enjoyed multiverse stories, this is the movie that finally gets it right. (Sorry Doctor Strange). Hollywood has been hitting it out of the park with the generational trauma storylines lately and I am here for it. Who knew a movie with hot dog fingers, a butt plug fight scene, and so many googly eyes, would leave me a sobbing mess on the floor after watching it. The emotions haven’t stopped after the credits rolled either. Seeing the cast talk about the power of this film at recent awards shows has given me all the feels once again. I am delighted to see Ke Huy Quan reach Hollywood success, and also more representation in Hollywood in general. EEAAO is a perfect film, start to finish, and I know its message will stick with me for a long time.