Sarah Kelley’s Top 10 Films of 2023

2023 felt like the year that movies were finally BACK. After several years of COVID delays, moviegoers finally got a full year of uninterrupted cinematic releases. And genuinely most of these releases were incredible feats of cinema and storytelling. Emphasis on most, as there definitely were some stinkers. 

2023 was also the year with the lowest grossing MCU movie, when a low grossing MCU movie would have been unthinkable a decade ago. Ideally, this shock to the studios would show that audiences are clamoring for original stories, untethered to massive movie franchises. However, after the slew of toy related films coming off the success of Barbie, I don’t think movie studios are open to hearing that lesson quite yet. 

Anyway, before I get into my top ten, I’m going to spend precious words talking about the aforementioned stinkers.

Dishonorable Mentions

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania, dir. Peyton Reed

As someone who drank the MCU Kool-Aid for arguably too long, this film is the one that broke the camel’s back. Ant-Man is genuinely one of Marvel’s funniest characters and Paul Rudd portrays him so perfectly, and his potential just felt wasted here. Ant-Man thrives as a street level hero, throwing him in front of an (ugly) CGI spectacle against a cosmic level threat just doesn’t work.

65, dir. Scott Beck and Bryan Woods

This film proves that just putting in some dinosaurs can’t save a movie. Mixing science fiction elements with prehistoric Earth could’ve been a cool premise, however this movie was so boring I was actively rooting for the meteor to hit, knowing that would bring the end of the story one way or another.

Haunted Mansion, dir. Justin Simien

I think Disney should stop remaking movies. The nostalgia train can only go so far, and younger audiences just aren’t as invested in seeing the same stories over and over again. Despite a stellar cast and lore from a genuinely interesting and fun theme park ride, this one just fell flat.

10. Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour dir. Sam Wrench

I think almost all of my friends and colleagues both from Film Club and UW’s Cinema and Media Studies Department would argue against this being considered at all for this list. However, The Eras Tour was not only a massive cultural phenomenon last year, but it was also a deeply important part of my year, and this film did an incredible job recapturing those memories. Not only did the film and atmosphere in the theater transport me right back to the night I saw Taylor Swift in person, but director Sam Wrench also expertly captures the essence of the show, and the visual transitions capture the magic of the tour visuals and atmosphere. With all the changes the show has seen since the addition of Swift’s newest album, The Tortured Poets Department, it’s so incredible to have this iteration of the tour and its setlist captured on film forever.

You can read Sarah’s full review of Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour here.

9. Poor Things dir. Yorgos Lanthimos

This film is definitely a difficult one for me, and not just because of the weirdness to be expected from director Yorgos Lanthimos, but also the way the character of Bella Baxter was portrayed. Emma Stone delivered an incredible performance especially considering the complexity of the character she portrayed. Overall, this film is a rumination on women’s role in society, and the way Bella takes charge of her own sexuality is admirable. Willem Dafoe and Mark Ruffalo also give incredible performances and I would recommend giving this one a watch. I’m not sure if I’ll ever do a re-watch but the first experience was surely memorable.

You can read Alex’s review of Poor Things here.

8. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 dir. James Gunn

Despite 2023 seeming to mark the end of Marvel’s reign over the box office (I’m looking at you Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania), the final installment in the Guardians trilogy was solid. James Gunn proves once again that he really understands these characters and perfectly balances heart and humor in a fitting send-off for this crew of loveable intergalactic misfits.

7. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes dir. Francis Lawrence

One thing I’ve always admired about dystopian fiction writer Suzanne Collins is that she doesn’t feel the need to push out stories for a quick buck. The original Hunger Games novels, born from a channel surfing session between reality TV and war footage, are an important commentary on the ability for media spectacle to detract from the real issues facing a nation. The prequel novel, from which the film is adapted, follows a young President Snow, the villain from the original trilogy. Rather than turning him into a sympathetic character, as some feared the story might, this film highlights Snow’s descent into the evil tyrannical dictator seen in The Hunger Games. These glimpses into his past show how he became the man audience’s later see, but they sure don’t give him a free pass for any of his behavior. Rachel Zegler delivers a powerhouse performance as Lucy Gray with both incredible acting and also lending her singing voice to the film and its soundtrack. If The Hunger Games showed us the dangers of spectacle, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes shows us just how easily power can corrupt and that some people are capable of doing anything to land on top. 

You can read Abby’s review of The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes here. 

6.  Theater Camp dir. Molly Gordon and Nick Lieberman

I had the privilege of seeing this film last year at the Seattle International Film Festival and have held nothing but praise for it ever since. As a former theater kid, every joke and bit in this film is spot on, literally every single archetype portrayed in the kids at camp feels ripped straight from the halls of a middle-school auditorium. It was also so refreshing to see Ben Platt in an age-appropriate role, ifykyk. Overall, Theater Camp is a fun time with memorable characters, and incredible original music.

5. Asteroid City dir. Wes Anderson

Asteroid City was the first Wes Anderson film I saw, and I have to say I understand the hype now. Not only was I impressed with the stacked cast and the muted pastel visuals, but the script was also creative and funny. In the days after seeing the film, I kept watching that one clip of the alien showing up, and it made me laugh every single time.

4. Bottoms dir. Emma Seligman

Bottoms brings back the genre of the early 2000s high school comedy in a queer and refreshing way. Rachel Sennott and Ayo Edebiri shine in the leading roles, and the supporting cast also completely delivers. The script is laugh-out-loud funny and made me feel seen as a queer woman. Watching Bottoms in theaters was an amazing experience, everyone there was having a great time and there was a sense of community. This isn’t a serious film, but it doesn’t have to be and that is inherent in the overall quality of the film.

3. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse dir. Joaquim Dos Santos, Kemp Powers, & Justin K. Thompson

The sequel to 2018’s Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse sure had a lot to live up to, and boy did it deliver. Everything from the first film carried over to the sequel, amazing animation, memorable characters, and witty dialogue. The spider-verse films are able to accomplish what no live action superhero film will ever be able to: transport the audience INTO a comic book. The only complaint I have is that I have to wait for the third installment in this incredible franchise!!!

You can read Abby’s review of Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse here. 

2. Barbie dir. Greta Gerwig

Barbie was not only a perfect reflection of the sparkling summer of 2023, it is also a deeply important film, and a chance to show audiences the power of a woman behind the camera. However, between the film’s numerous Oscar snubs and the fact that Mattel just keeps greenlighting movies about toys, the message of the film was clearly lost on studio and industry executives. The message was not lost on me though, and I left the theater feeling seen and empowered in my own experiences of girlhood and the transition into womanhood.

You can read Sarah’s full review of Barbie here.

1. Oppenheimer dir. Christopher Nolan

I’ll be honest- when I did the Barbenheimer double feature, I expected to like Barbie more. Pink pastels are more my speed than an overwhelming sense of existential dread. But the opposite turned out to be true and I left my showing of Oppenheimer in awe of what I had seen. The use of black and white in contrast to color is genius and incredibly well used. Robert Downey Jr. and Cillian Murphy both give performances that deserved their Oscar wins. While I do agree with some of the criticisms of the movie, particularly the stories that were not told, I think the way Oppenheimer is characterized as a scientist who didn’t fully process what he was dooming the world to was an interesting choice.