General microscopy references
Biophysical Society methods compendium — optical microscopy,
electrophysiology, single molecule techniques, spectroscopy, simulation…
🔬 FSU Microscopy Site — best optical microscopy reference on the web.
🔬 µList Resouces for Light Microscopists
🔬 Video: How to align a microscope for Koehler Illumination
🔬 Other great Microcourses videos
🔬 😱 😭 Microscopists’ Nighmares videos
✰ FPbase | FP Vis
✰ Fluorescent Protein Resource Center @ Einstein
✰ Botman & al., 2019, In vivo characterisation of fluorescent proteins in budding yeast.
Our current microscopes
- A brand-spankin’-new (2019) spinning disk confocal, shared with the Hoppins Lab.
- Nikon Ti2-E inverted frame with full automation
- Mad City piezo Z stage for high-speed Z-sections
- Nikon Perfect Focus
- Okolab Incubator enclosure with CO2/humidity controlled stage chamber
- Yokogawa CSU-X1 spinning disk head (10k rpm)
- Toptica iChrome MLE Laser launch
- Laser lines: 405, 488, 561, 640 nm (all nominally 100 mW at fiber tip)
- Finger Lakes emission filter wheel for CSU-X1 (30 ms beteeen adjacent filters)
- Photoactivation/photoconversion unit: Mightex Polygon 400-G DMD, with X-Cite 110 light engine
- Epi-illumination path with with (another) X-Cite 110 light engine
- 60/1.4 and 100/1.45 oil immersion lenses; others available
- Cairn Research Optosplit II bypass unit for simultaneous dual-color (or, hint, hint, dual-polarization) image acquisition
- Cameras: demos are underway
- Acquisition and analysis workstation with dual monitors
- Good ergos, because the PI’s are tired of (and sore from) using microscopes with bad ergos.
- An Olympus IX-71 inverted frame. This microscope is currently disassembled, in preparation for upgrades (stay tuned).
- A Nikon E-800 upright frame, equipped for epifluorescence. This microscope is currently configured with a home-built Peltier stage and objective temperature cuff for rapid temperature-shift studies like the ones in this paper.
- A Nikon Diaphot tissue culture microscope. A highly competent beast, built in the 1980s.
Brief description here, in-depth teardown here