Virginia Merrill Bloedel Hearing Research Center

April 26, 2019

Rémy Pujol, PhD

Rémy Pujol, PhD

Affiliate Professor
Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery

rpujol@uw.edu

Additional Titles: Professor Emeritus
Université de Montpellier, France
Research Areas: Balance, hearing
Research Interests: Development, degeneration, regeneration of the sensory epithelium in the inner ear. Developmental synaptogenesis and neo-synaptogenesis after lesion and regeneration.
Primary
Methodologies:
Wild and transgenic mouse models, Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM), TEM tomography, use of zebrafish neuromast as a primitive model of sensory hair cells.
Work Summary: During 45 years spent at the Universities of Marseille and Montpellier, including 23 years at the head of an INSERM Unit, my research has been focused on Hearing and the Cochlea in several mammalian experimental models. Main topics were: development, synaptology, neuropharmacology, degeneration and repair … Since my annual Summer collaboration with the Bloedel Center (which started in 1998 !) I brought my expertise in transmission electron microscopy of the inner ear, to join several projects, first in the zebrafish model (Drs Rubel and Raible), then lately in the mouse model of vestibular regeneration (Dr Stone). We are currently comparing the molecular mechanisms of the development, degeneration and regeneration of hair cells in the utricle of wild, drug damaged and transgenic mice. These results are discussed within the general clinical perspective of Balance and Hearing impairments and rehabilitation.
Links: Lab Website