Before wanting to become an elementary teacher, I’ve wanted to become a singer. Throughout my entire life, music has always been a huge part of my life. I personally love to sing, whether if it’s during a session of carpool karaoke, in talents shows, or even when I’m home alone. However, my parents did not like the idea of me having a singing career as I transitioned into high school; they believed that I could find a better career (preferably in the medical field). So during my high school journey, I decided to major in Educational Studies and become an elementary teacher. I discovered my passion for helping children out when I started volunteering as a teacher’s assistant at my old elementary school in junior year up until the end of my senior year. Of course, it wasn’t what exactly my parents wanted me to do but eventually they accepted my choice in teaching children.

Looking back in the past, I realized that I shouldn’t have let my parents suddenly change my future path. I was always obedient to my parents and would follow what they wanted; I was never the person that followed their own instincts or go with what their heart desired in life. Personally, it was because I was scared of the outcome or the consequence. I always depended or trusted the decisions of everyone else because I would assume that the result would be good if I followed them. I learned that my fear of personal outcomes overpowered my levels of self-confidence and independence. As I grew up, I had to accept the fact that I have to stick with my own choices, whether I’m alone or not, and face any outcome there is to come. Because I didn’t do any of those, I would not only be pleased, but I would not learn from those outcomes.

My personal advice for those that have not decided on a major or career to fulfill, or are having second thoughts, is to remember to have faith with the choices that you personally make and take some time to organize what goals you have for the future, what you would want to achieve, and how you are going to achieve it. It is no one else’s choice to choose what you should fulfill and achieve in life, only yours.

Within this blog post, you will find more stories from UW Students about their (intended) majors, careers, back up plans, as well as personal advice to college students who have not decided on a major or a future career, or have second thoughts on their initial choice. Thank you to those who have shared their stories!

Lauren, Sophomore from University of Washington Bothell

Lauren plans to major in Biology

I plan on being either a physician assistant or a nurse. To be honest, I chose my career because I was kind of forced to. Ever since I was little, my parents drilled the idea of finding a stable career into my head and the need to choose and plan before I reached high school. Even though they were open to me choosing my own career, they kind of steered me towards STEM majors. Despite that, I liked science and in ninth grade, I started watched Grey’s Anatomy and found medicine interesting so I thought, ‘oh why not pursue it?’ There’s also the fact that the people around me were always in and out of hospitals so I spent a lot of my time there. So here I am, almost four years later, taking science classes and praying that I do well enough to be accepted into med school.

My whole life, I thought I wanted to be a doctor, but in the past couple of years, I realized that I don’t want to go to school for 10 years; I want to travel and live a little bit. It’s the first time I’ve ever doubted my future and it’s really scary. I’ve told my mom this and I think I kind of broke her heart, but hey I’m trying my best and that’s the most anyone can ask for.

Advice from Lauren: I know it sounds cliché, but just try everything out. You truly don’t know how much you like something until you try it. It’s normal to not know what you want to do! We’ve been alive for only 18-19 years and have had little to no experience with living in the real adult world. It’s kind of ridiculous to make people choose what they want to do with their whole lives when we haven’t even gotten the chance to live yet. Also it’s okay to change your mind. If you don’t enjoy something as much as you thought you would’ve, that’s okay! No one can tell you what you can or cannot enjoy.

Thinh, Sophomore from University of Washington Seattle

Thinh is majoring in Bio-engineering

I came into college thinking I have to do a STEM major but then I heard from many upperclassmen that what I am majoring in does not matter much for when I am finding a career so I decided to spend some time exploring before committing to a major.

My original plan was Biochemistry because I always found science classes easy and enjoyable in high school so I decided to pursue the major, which requires students to take classes in many different fields of science. It will always prep me well for medical school if I decide to go.

I want to pursue a career in the medical field because I want to be able to help others in some way and also my family has pushed me towards this career since I was very little. My back up career would be building medical equipment to help hospitals run more efficiently. I think being able to build or invent things is very fun and it allows me to help others even if it’s not in the way I originally intended.

Advice from Thinh: It doesn’t matter if you don’t know yet because everyone else (with a major or without) is just as lost as you are so just take your time to decide so you can make sure you end up somewhere enjoyable.

Andrea, Junior from University of Washington Bothell

Andrea is majoring in Biology

I initially chose biochemistry as my major. This changed when I decided that I wanted to go to medical school, I then chose to major in biology because the bio major fills most, if not all of the requirements for med school. It is much more convenient for me to be a bio major than a biochem major.

I’m planning on applying to med school when I graduate, I’ll be taking the MCAT the summer of 2019 and submitting my application the following cycle. I would like to specialize either in family medicine, rheumatology, or OBGYN.

I think my “back up” plan is doing something science/health related. As someone who wants to go into medicine, my mindset is really set on medicine and I’m doing everything I can to get there. If I am not accepted into med school right away, my plan is to work on my Post Bachelor’s and strengthen my application for the next cycle. If I decide that medicine isn’t for me, I might go back to my original plan and apply to a grad school program related to autoimmune research.

Advice from Andrea: Don’t be afraid to pursue something difficult. If you really want something, work as hard as you can for it and everything else will fall into place. Everything will require hard work and dedication, so why not do that thing that you’ve always wanted to do but have been too afraid of?

Junior from University of Washington Seattle

This student is majoring in Human-Centered Design and Engineering (HCDE)

Before entering college, I was on the pre-med track because I loved the idea of helping people’s lives and interacting with them. When I came into college, I realized that pursuing a career in the medical field isn’t the only way to directly help others, and that the process of becoming a medical professional was too structured and linear for me. I also knew that I wouldn’t stand going to school for another 4+ years. I randomly stumbled across HCDE during my freshman year. I had no idea what it was, which made me curious to discover more about it and take introductory classes. Essentially, I chose to major in HCDE because it’s interdisciplinary and is the intersection between design, psychology, engineering, and technology; all of the things I’m interested in! HCDE teaches students how to improve the everyday lives of people through designing technology. It’s a field that allows me to express my creativity. I also love how the classes you take in this major are very hands-on and involve lots of teamwork.

In terms of majors at the UW, typical alternatives to HCDE would be informatics, psychology or the design program, since I’ve seen many people major in those fields and can still get the same job as someone who is an HCDE graduate.

Advice from Junior: Either go to a community college or take a gap year, if you haven’t gotten into school or a major yet. And while you’re at the community college or taking a gap year, don’t just sit around and wait for things to miraculously happen; spend that time figuring out who you are. For all students, start assessing your passions, hobbies, and the type of lifestyle you’d be comfortable and happy with in the future. Ask if you see yourself working a 9-5 job for the rest of your life working for someone else, or if you want to work for yourself. Realize that you’re extremely lucky to live in a generation where college isn’t necessary to get a job (unless you want to become a doctor/lawyer/accountant etc). People are learning how to code by taking online classes, some are starting their own businesses, some are freelancers, people are becoming content creators. The internet is such an amazing thing that you should take advantage of. Don’t be afraid of what others think (that includes your friends, your parents, society), and don’t be afraid to share what you’re passionate about and turn it into something big. Many kids think that going to college and working a 9-5 job working for someone else afterwards is the only possible thing to do in life, when that’s really not the case nowadays. The formal education system often tells students to follow this linear path, and can often stump their creativity. Lots of students worry about not knowing what to do in the future in terms of a 9-5 job, but they don’t understand that you don’t need to be limited to that. Your college major doesn’t define who you are or what you’ll do for the rest of your life. If you’re currently in school, turn your hobbies into a side hustle; start that business, make that YouTube channel, create that blog, write that book, start the band you’ve always wanted. Your teens and twenties are a great time to take risks. Think outside the box and own it. Don’t worry about trying to fit into society and being conventional. Turn that dream into a reality.

Melissa, Senior from University of Washington Seattle

Melissa is majoring in Comparative Literature: Cinema Studies

I chose this major because I had a passion for film since I was young, more so than the average person.

Besides for my desire to create something, I chose to be in the film industry because I wanted to insert representation for people of color and de-stigmatize stereotypes embedded in films. I want to decolonize the film community and be another woman in a field dominated more so by men. As a backup plan, I probably would go into art, mostly because I like to express myself.

Advice from Melissa: IF money is an issue, do what you love and the money will follow. To be honest, it is okay to not know, but always be actively looking for some sort of passion or drive that motivates you. Take risks in your early years to see what vibes with you, you never know what you’re going to find. Do not join a major or career just because you are told. Show your parents/guardians that you can be successful doing what you love. Your major is a piece of paper, an important one, but as long as you come up with the steps to be on the path and still respect them, they will be proud.

Vu, Senior from University of Washington Bothell

Vu is majoring in Business Administration and Marketing and Technology Innovation Management

My major is Business Administration with a dual focus in Marketing and Technology Innovation Management. I chose this major because I have always been interested in business. This major offers many opportunities that align with what I want as my career path in the future. A path for me is to become a Marketing Analyst or a marketing adviser. My long-term goal is to own a business. If I had a back up plan, it would be a career somewhere in the law field. Business and law go well together and I have always been interested in law.

Advice from Vu: Take your time and focus on what you enjoy. When you focus on what you enjoy, everything will fall naturally. Don’t view education as a competition but more of a way to better yourself. Everything is a learning phase!

Laura, Graduate from University of Washington Bothell

Laura is majoring in Media & Communications

I chose the major Media & Communications because it was a path I didn’t realize I would do well in until my friends pointed it out. I realized that I invested my time into media outside of school, why not major in it.

I want to be a Film/Online Media Production Manager. From my own hands-on experience with projects and what I want to get out of my future career is having some control of the content I will produce and manage. For my backup plan, I would want to be a Public Relations Consultant, I feel that I would have as much joy talking to other representatives and possible sponsors as being the one making the media.

Advice from Laura: Find what you are passionate about and do it. It is better to have tried and possibly fail than not tried and regret it.

If you are someone who is still contemplating on a major, do not worry! Not knowing where to start can be difficult, however it is not impossible to find the right major or career. It’s nice to explore what opportunities there are in store for you. One way that you can start discovering your interests is to join clubs or organizations on campus. It does take time to plan out what you would want to do in life, while expanding your horizons to go out and find what your heart desires. As you can see, everyone has a different experience when it comes down to finding their major and future career.  There will be ups and downs throughout your journey, but in the end, it will be worth it once you discover what you truly want to do in life.