UW Libraries Blog

December 19, 2022

Faculty Feature: Katy Pearce

UW Libraries

Katy Pearce

Katy Pearce, an associate professor in the Department of Communication at the University of Washington (UW), is dedicated to advancing research in the field of social and political uses of technology, while also supporting students and colleagues. With a focus on digital divides and inequalities and the use of information and communication technologies for marginalized people and social movements in non-democratic states, Pearce is passionate about bridging the gap between the theoretical and lived experiences of people around the world.

Pearce has been UW faculty for just over a decade and has long been a fan of UW Libraries.

“Frankly, when I talk to friends and colleagues at other university systems about how great the UW Libraries are, I realize how very fortunate we are to have the incredible access to the resources that we do.”

The UW Libraries play a significant role in supporting Pearce’s work and research. In particular, Pearce notes the value of working with subject librarians, who are able to provide expertise and support in this specific field of study. Pearce regularly collaborates with subject librarians, such as Jessica Albano in the UW Department of Communication and Michael Biggins, the Slavic, Baltic, and East European Studies librarian.

“I love the Libraries! In my teaching, I’ve been so fortunate to have two incredible subject librarians: Jessica Albano and Michael Biggins,” says Pearce. “Jessica has collaborated with me so many times over the years in designing modules for both my research methods classes as well as my topical classes. It is such a gift. And Michael is always so quick to respond whenever I see a new book coming out that I think would be something that undergraduate and graduate students at UW would be likely to read and/or I think that someone is likely to want to assign in their classes.”

Pearce is an avid user (and self-proclaimed fan) of the Interlibrary Loan & Scanning Services to access materials for research.

“Because I study a more unusual part of the world, I frequently need to use Interlibrary Loan to access journal articles in other languages or more obscure sources,” says Pearce. These services have allowed Pearce to design modules for research methods and topical classes, as well as stay up-to-date on the latest studies in the field.

Katy Pearce giving a presentation titled "Understanding online behavior in a high surveillance, high stakes environment"

Katy Pearce presenting at the Eurasia Foundation talk, Washington DC.

Making connections with others is central to Pearce’s work and perspective both within UW and internationally. Within her field, Pearce is focused on finding ways to bridge western theorizing with the lived experiences of people around the globe. “It is my hope that we’ll see more connections in all directions.”

“The amount of interdisciplinary work that goes on at UW…is incredible.”

Being a part of the UW community supports that effort. “The amount of interdisciplinary work that goes on at UW, both at the Seattle campus and across the three campuses, is incredible. Whether it be formal research centers or more informal groups, one can really find community and an intellectual home beyond their department.”

For students, Pearce offers insight on ways to utilize services and resources offered by the UW Libraries. Connecting with the librarians for help and using proxy services ranks high on the list of to-dos for undergraduates and graduates alike.

“Helping them understand that the proxy server exists so that they can access resources off-campus is important. And I talk to undergraduates about how they can find many of the same resources at their local public library after graduation,” says Pearce. “I tell undergraduates in particular constantly to physically ask for help or use the “Ask Us” button on the library website.”

Overall, the UW Libraries play a crucial role in supporting faculty like Pearce in their research and teaching efforts. With access to a wide range of materials and expert librarians, our faculty are able to continue pushing the boundaries of knowledge and make a lasting impact in their fields.

STUDENTS AND INSTRUCTORS:

If you are looking for a summary of the most helpful tools and resources (including those noted by Prof. Pearce) bookmark these Library Guides for future reference:

Recommendation for our next Faculty Feature?

If you, or someone you know would be interested in sharing your research perspective and how the Libraries support teaching and learning at UW, please send recommendations to uwlib-comm@uw.edu. We would love to tell your story!