The shared book.

I have been wondering what can I write for that final post that I haven’t already, what can I reflect on that we haven’t yet touched, but I am finding it really difficult. For that reason I decided to embrace my “half-baked” thoughts, and see where I will go, while I am writing.

Eleven weeks ago, before we start this class, if someone was asking me “In what era are we living?”, I would probably give a much different answer to what I would say now.

Never in my life I have wondered “the epoch” that I am living at. Usually people identify these eras when they look back in the past. We look at the past like a chapter in a book and try to give it a title that would contain all the important events. We detach ourselves emotionally and see the events as part of the history. You meet older people and they tend to talk to you about the glory of their past years, about how beautiful, charming, seductive, motivated, active they were when they belonged to a different “era”, their twenties, thirties, forties. But people don’t set a name in the era they live now, not until they close the chapter.

If I was asked in what era we, human race, are living right now, I would probably think of a “post pandemic era”, a “social media one”, the era of Artificial Intelligence, or closer to what it is now “the era of cimate change”. But even on my answer about the climate change, I would be so detached emotionally and clean of blame. “Anthropocene”, the unofficial epoch in which humans have been the main source of impact to the Ecology of Earth. It really took me many weeks of this quarter to understand that even young, I am also part of the problem. Reflecting on the action project in a deeper level, maybe it was my redemption, a way to get rid some of the guilt or maybe a project I had to be engaged to feel special as a byproduct of death anxiety, having to feel that I am contributing to the solution of the problem.

The Anthropocene might be a dark chapter in the shared book of Human and Planet Earth, and might already have a title and a “plot” but the end has not been written yet, we have time to improve the storyline, and write a happy end.