Apple in a box

This past week we have explored how the fear of death cannot only shape our personalities but also our perception on how we see the world. As analyzed in the book “The worm at the core”, every achievement has been motivated by the terror of death. This terror has even created religions, art, economies, societies, innovations and more.

Some days ago I came across a really interesting video that was part of a documentary called “a trip to infinity”. ‘I am bigger because I know how small I am”. In the excerpt, there was a box, a perfect box that nothing could come in or come out anymore. Inside the box there is an apple. As time passes by, the apple decays, becomes dust, the chemicals temperature increase and turn into energy. After billions of years, neutrons will decay to and the other fundamental particles, so if the apple has 10 to the 24th particles, then there would be 10 to the 10th to the 24th states that  these particles can be, although that is a huge number, it is not infinite. If we could wait infinite years, then all of these states would happen and according to the theory one day, we could open the box and see the apple again. The documentary ends with the controversial phrase of “And why should we are? Maybe because one day we might also end up in a box”.

The surprising thing is that after reading the book “The worm at the core”, instead of watching that video as a scientific exploration of infinity, I could only see a reflection of the desperate battle of humans against mortality, like we had the need to develop a theory like that so we don’t just accept that death is just death, the end.