Garrett King

King
Garrett King,
Washington University
Oct. 18th, 2022

About me:
My focus is the theoretical description of nuclear electroweak structure and reactions over a wide range of energy and momentum transfer with the broader aim of contributing to experimental efforts in nuclear physics and fundamental symmetries. I perform many-body calculations for nuclei up to A=12 using quantum Monte Carlo methods with the Norfolk local chiral interaction and its consistent electroweak transition operators. Using these tools, I investigate nuclear electroweak matrix elements relevant to fundamental symmetry tests.

Seminar Title:
Electroweak structure and reactions with quantum Monte Carlo methods

Seminar Date:
Oct. 18th, 2022

Abstract:
Nuclei play a critical role in high-precision tests of the Standard Model and in searches for Beyond Standard Model physics. In order to disentangle new physics signals from nuclear physics effects, one must have an accurate understanding of the underlying nuclear dynamics. Quantum Monte Carlo (QMC) methods in combination with chiral effective field theory interactions and electroweak currents provide a means to systematically understand these dynamics. In this talk, I will present studies of beta decay and muon capture in light nuclei using the Norfolk potential, a high-quality local chiral interaction, and its consistent many-body axial and vector current operators.