SAFS Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Blog

October 22, 2021

International Pronouns Day

Earlier this week, Wednesday, October 20, was International Pronouns Day. It is a relatively new campaign, which first began in 2018, to raise awareness about pronouns, specifically third-person personal pronouns, which are usually gendered. From their faq page:

“International Pronouns Day seeks to make respecting, sharing, and educating about personal pronouns commonplace. Referring to people by the pronouns they determine for themselves is basic to human dignity. Being referred to by the wrong pronouns particularly affects transgender and gender nonconforming people. Together, we can transform society to celebrate people’s multiple, intersecting identities.”

Over the past few years, it has become increasingly common for folks to introduce themselves with their name and pronouns, put pronouns on business cards and in email signatures, and to ask others what their pronouns are. When starting a meeting or class with a new group of people, it’s best practice to ask everyone to introduce themselves with their name and pronouns, along with whatever other information seems relevant. By setting this up as the meeting organizer, you are sending a message to attendees that 1) they will be respected in the space, and 2) it is not up to trans folks to educate their cisgender peers and defend their humanity. If this is not something you currently practice, consider adding pronouns to your list for introductions.

Here are some easy ways to introduce yourself with your pronouns:

• “Hi, I’m Amina. I use she/her pronouns.”
  • “My name is Rae and my pronouns are they and them.”
  • “I’m Antonio and I use he pronouns.”
  • “I’m Yoshi and I don’t use any pronouns. Please just refer to me by my name.”
  • “Hi, my name’s Annie. I’m fine with she and they pronouns.”

Not communicating verbally? Consider displaying your pronouns in the following places:

• Email signature
  • Name tags
  • Door sign
  • Business cards
  • Biography on a website
  • Zoom name (log in to your Zoom account online)

When writing pronouns, it’s best to write at least the subject and object forms. Folks who use less-common pronouns will generally include the possessive as well. Here are some examples (subject/object/possessive):

• She/her/hers
  • He/him/his
  • They/them/theirs
  • Ze/hir/hirs
  • Ey/em/eirs

Folks who use multiple sets of pronouns will either separate them with commas or list only the subject pronouns separated by slashes (e.g., he/they, they/ze, she/he/they). Folks who speak languages other than English will sometimes include their pronouns in the other languages they speak as a way to recognize and share more of their identity (e.g., he/him, el; she/her, 她).

Want to learn more about third-person pronouns? Visit MyPronouns.org and read through the site for an excellent explainer and overview. It’s a quick read that goes over the importance of pronouns, how to share and ask about pronouns, and what to do if you make a mistake. They also have links you can include in your email signature:

The International Pronouns Day FAQ page and Resources page are also good places to start, as is the UW Registrar page on pronouns. And of course, you can always email the SAFS Diversity Specialist or visit during DEI Office Hours (3–4:30pm, M–F). Michael has been doing pronoun education since 2008 and is delighted to answer questions. Grab a free pronoun button while you’re there and share your pronouns with others!