Opal Session links
Links to Opal sessions, containing learning objectives and other session information, can be added to Modules or to pages. Clicking on a session link will display the Opal session information within a Canvas page.
UW Library Resources links
Links to UW Library Resources, containing all available eTextbooks for the curriculum block and Threads plus additional student resources, are added towards the top of each curriculum block course. Clicking on the link will display select UW Library resources within Canvas. Please contact Nikki firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like UW Library resources for the curriculum block added, deleted or revised. Please note that UW Library Resources links for curriculum blocks are not able to be customized by specific WWAMI location.
Adding content to a Canvas Module
In Canvas web sites, UW SOM blocks use the Modules page as the Home page. Modules are used to organize course content into weeks or topical units. Modules will contain links to Canvas pages, files and media. Modules, and the content items within Modules, can be arranged by clicking and dragging the item.
- In the left navigation, click Modules.
- Click “+ Module” (right).
- Fill-in a name for the module. Set a lock date, if needed. Click Add Module to finish.
Use Pages to post instructions, announcements & reading lists. Pages can be added to Modules, or directly to the Pages area. Adding a Page to a Module will also add it to the Pages area.
- To add a Page to a Module, click the “+” icon on the title bar of the Module.
- Select Content Page in the Add menu.
- Scroll and click New Page. Enter a title and click Add Item.
- To add content to the page, click on the title of the page and then click Edit. Enter text, links, files or media in the text field. Click Save.
- Click the Publish icon (cloud icon) to show or hide the page for students.
Links (External URLS)
Use Links to direct students to web pages or other resources outside of your course. For example, you might use an external URL to link to a Youtube video.
- To add a Link to a Module, click the “plus” icon on the title bar of the Module.
- Select External URL in the Add menu and enter the URL.
- Click Add Item to finish.
- Click the Publish icon (cloud icon) to show or hide the link for students.
Files – Add an existing File to a Module
Files such as Word docs, Powerpoint slides or images can be added to Modules. Adding a File to a Module will also add it to the Files area. *** Students usually do not have access to the Files tab. In some blocks the Files tab is open to students access, however.
Files – Add a new File to a Module
- To add a File to a Module, click the “+” icon on the title bar of the Module.
- Select File from the Add menu.
- Scroll to the bottom of the Add menu and select New File.
- Browse and upload the file.
- Click Add Item.
- Click the Publish icon (cloud icon) to show or hide the file for students.