Extended Hours & Meet our Staff: D’Andre Williams

Picture of a young man with glasses and a black hat
(Photo courtesy of D’Andre Williams)

We are super excited to announce that the UWT Library has hired UW Tacoma alumnus (and former library student worker!) D’Andre Williams as our Late Evening Services Technician.

Because of D’Andre and our amazing student workers, we are thrilled to announce that we have extended our hours starting Winter Quarter 2019! Students have been asking for extended hours, and we are happy to oblige! We also want to extend our thanks to the Executive Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs, Dr. Jill Purdy, for her help in turning this vision into reality.

Below is a bit about D’Andre and his journey getting here. “Meet our Staff” will now also be a new Library blog feature for you to look forward to!

About D’Andre

1. What did you major in at UWT?  I majored in Communications
  2. What drew you to working in libraries?  Initially, at the end of my freshman year, I was drawn in by the collection and convenience. I had volunteered for the Pierce County public libraries throughout high school and had some experience navigating a library collection. Additionally, I was living on campus so working at the library as a student made for an easy commute. As I spent more time here at the library it quickly became my home on campus. I felt connect to the community and the campus in a way I hadn’t before. Working at the library was a formative experience for me as a student worker.
  3. What parts of your new job are you most excited about?  I’m exited most to continue to serve the community that I live in. I am also excited to innovate and oversee the equipment collection.
  4. Have you read anything good lately?  I have! I am currently reading multiple books. Brandon Sanderson’s The Way of Kings has been a standout. I also read a lot of manga and graphic novels which release new chapters on a weekly basis.
  5. Any advice for UWT students?  My advice would be to remember to take a moment to stop and just enjoy life. When you’re constantly on the move or stressed out about papers or finals it can be easy to forget to have fun and take care of yourself. We’re fortunate to have quite a bit to see and do around here in Tacoma, so make sure to go explore it sometime!

Extended hours

The library will have longer hours starting the first day of Winter Quarter, with extended hours Monday through Thursday and on Sundays. Our new opening times will be:

• Monday – Thursday: 7 am – midnight
  • Friday: 7 am – 5 pm
  • Saturday: 9 am – 5 pm
  • Sunday: 9 am – 9 pm