Graduate students! Want your work to reach a broad audience in a fun, creative way? Check out this opportunity to participate in an upcoming podcasting workshop, posted on behalf of UW Seattle librarian Elliott Stevens.
Applications are due by Jan. 28, 2019.
Podcasting Workshop Call for Applicants
Are you a graduate student engaged in academic or professional work that you wish you could communicate to a broader audience? Interested in building your resume while learning how to tell compelling stories about meaningful topics? Curious about what you can do with a podcast?
If YES: the UW Libraries invites you to apply for Storytelling Fellows! This is an innovative, hands-on program designed to highlight the interests and accomplishments of UW graduate students, using digital-storytelling skills and technologies. The this totally free, three-week online program will take approximately 10 accepted fellows through the start-to-finish process of envisioning and creating a podcast suitable for an online portfolio, professional presentation, or academic project.
Folks who have participated in past Storytelling Fellows programs have created digital stories for the following reasons:
- To make digital streaming content for websites
- To communicate their work either to professional or public audiences
- To learn a creative, emergent form they’ll use in their teaching
- To learn a skill they can highlight on the job market and employ in their careers
- To tell stories that have never been told and never will be unless they do it
- To have pure fun
Storytelling Fellows Course Details:
- The course will run from January 30, 2019 – February 20, 2019.
- There will be three live Sunday sessions hosted via webconference from 7:00pm-8:30pm on February 3rd, February 10th, and February 17th. These sessions are mandatory.
- Finishing a 2-5 minute podcast is mandatory.
Take a look at the syllabus for more information.
No previous experience with media-making is necessary. Really, the only requirement is a desire to be creative, to finish a project of your own design, and to interact with other graduate students across disciplines.
To apply, please fill out this application by January 28th.
Though the Winter 2019 Storytelling Fellows course has closed, the workshop will continue to be offered in future quarters. Check the Storytelling Fellows Podcasting course site for updates and more information.