Meet our Staff: Marcia Monroe

Student Supervisor in library with mail cart
(Photo courtesy Fatuma Hassan).

We are utterly delighted to share this “Meet our Staff” post with you today.  Marcia Monroe has been a steady presence at the UW Tacoma Library, and as Student Supervisor, plays a major role in creating the culture of equity, inclusion, and student support that we strive towards.

1. What did you major in/are you majoring in at UWT? I’m excited to say that I’ve successfully completed my first quarter in the Masters of Education program here at UW Tacoma, but I received my undergraduate degree, a Bachelor of Arts in Spanish, from a neighboring school, PLU. [Marcia, the library could not be more excited about your return to graduate school! So proud of your dedication and hard work!]
  2. What drew you to working in libraries? I was a military brat, so my family traveled throughout the U.S. and the world. My first experience with libraries was many years ago as a toddler, when my mom took my sister and I to a small, quaint library in Karlsruhe, Germany. My mom always made sure we had lots books in our house, so I’ve always loved the atmosphere of libraries and books growing up. My first library position, almost 30 years ago, were both in two of our regional public libraries, the Tacoma Public and the Pierce County Library Administration Center. From there I investigated other opportunities in libraries and have been working as a Library Technician, and now currently a Library Supervisor, of Student employees, for over 27 years combined.
  3. What parts of your job are you most excited about?  The thing that excites me the most about working here at the UW Tacoma Library is working with our diverse body of student employees. I work with about 10-15 students each quarter and I absolutely love the daily interaction I have with them. From hiring, training and ultimately bidding them well upon graduation, it’s an extremely rewarding experience. The students truly make my day. They remind me why I’m here. They remind me that the work that I do is of great value to their success, as a student and beyond. Proof of that comes when our former student employees return as UW Tacomaalumni, to thank us for being such an important part of their employment history and their lives.
  4. Have you read anything good lately? Currently I’m reading “Girl Wash Your Face”, by Rachel Hollis. She reminds you to take stock and to value all that you’ve accomplished in life and that no matter your age or stage in life, to not count yourself out or to allow anyone else to do so, because there’s so much more ahead!
  5. Any advice for UWT students? Yes. Follow your heart, it’s honest and true. Follow your passion in the career you choose. You may start out small, but if you stick with it, the rewards to staying true to yourself will pay off. They may not always pay off monetarily, right away, but they’ll pay off in creating true, genuine relationships, self-worth, value, and peace.