Thanks to a UW Tacoma Strategic Initiative Fund grant, the UW Tacoma Library will be hosting a second year of faculty workshops on Open Educational Resources (OER). These workshops are designed to help faculty learn about and implement these free, openly licensed learning materials in a course of their choice.
Selected applicants will be offered $725 stipends to participate in the program and complete all deliverables. The application is linked at the bottom of this post.
In addition to this document, it is highly recommended that you review the two, short readings linked below before applying. This will help make sure you have a good sense of what you’re signing up for before the program begins
- SPARC’s OER Mythbusting resource
- Panel Discussion: Open Educational Resources at UW Tacoma (with a group of last year’s workshop participants)
This multi-day, online workshop will help faculty understand different OER licenses, find high-quality OER in their discipline, and identify resources for adapting and adopting OER at UW Tacoma.
Participants should expect to spend four to five hours on both workshop days completing online learning activities, reviewing workshop materials, and possibly participating in synchronous activities. Selected applicants will receive a planning survey assessing their online learning resources and preferences to determine the exact schedule and best modes of instruction. An optional, additional training may also be offered covering tools and resources for adapting or creating Open Educational Resources.
All participants will submit short, three to five page reports briefly evaluating available resources for their chosen course, identifying savings to students if free materials are adopted, and outlining necessary steps to implement those resources in the 2020-21 academic year. It will also identify needs to support and encourage OER use on campus. The intent of the implementation summary is to help you begin using OER in your class. It will also allow the Library to evaluate areas where further OER support is needed.
- Week of June 15: Course materials made available
- June 17: Required, half-day workshop session (exact times TBD)
- June 18: Required, half-day workshop session (exact times TBD)
- June 19: Optional, two-hour training on adapting or creating OER (exact times TBD)
- June 23 – July 8: Optional search and implementation consultations
- July 10: Required implementation summary due by end of day
- Fall 2020: Optional final event (date TBD)
Requirements and Deliverables:
- Full participation in online learning activities on June 17 and 18 is required.
- Final reports are required from all participants, due by the end of the day on July 10, 2020. In addition to the details above, a prompt outlining the full requirements will be provided.
Faculty from all experience levels are welcome to participate in this training. While changing course materials is not a program requirement, preference will be given to applicants who demonstrate a strong interest in finding and using Open Educational Resources for their selected course.
- Familiarity with and ability to complete all program requirements.
- New applicants will be given priority over prior participants.
- Demonstrated interest in converting a UW Tacoma course to use materials that are both free and openly licensed. For more information, please see the recommended readings linked above.
Applications are due by Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 11:00 pm PDT. Applicants will receive notifications about their application status beginning no later than May 18. To apply, click the link below.
- Marisa Petrich, Instructional Design Librarian: email@example.com