Do you create or use data in your research? Looking for tips and tools to better help you manage your research data, and preserve it for long-term use?
From May 18-21 the UW Libraries is offering Research Data Management Planning, an asynchronous online workshop for UW community members engaged in research with data. Topics will include getting started with data management planning, funder requirements for data sharing, metadata, tips to help keep you organized, sharing, archiving and preservation, and an introduction to tools and on-campus support to aid researchers.
Research Data Management Planning Workshop
A free, tutor-supported online learning workshop
May 18-21, 2020
Duration: Monday, May 18 – Thursday, May 21 (4 days)
Time Commitment: Approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour per day, over 4 days
Target audience: UW community members engaged in research with data.
Prerequisites: Access to the internet for each of the 4 days identified. A valid UW NetID is also required.
- This module-based workshop consists of activities and peer discussion forums that will provide tips on how to construct an effective data management plan for your data and will provide information on tips and tools to help with your research data needs.
- By asking learners to share experiences with one another, this workshop provides the space and opportunity for you to reflect on your skills and to see how various techniques and tools can be employed to help you build your data management plan and most effectively share and preserve your data.
- This workshop will take place in Canvas over 4 days, with no fixed participation times (asynchronous).
- Each day corresponds to one online module, which includes a topic overview, resources, activity, and peer discussion forum.
- Discussion forums are the workshop’s primary means of ‘assessment,’ so expect to post to forums daily.
- You will be guided through the course by a team of friendly librarian tutors, who will answer questions and provide feedback.
How to Join:
- If interested, please register via this Catalyst link no later than May 15, 2020.
- Space in the workshop is limited, and participants will be accepted on a first-come-first-served basis. Students who register after capacity is reached may be placed on a wait list.
Comments from previous class participants:
- This is a great workshop — exposing me to a lot of considerations about data management that I did not know about. The tutor responses have been really helpful. I was unaware of the data librarians on campus and will definitely reach out to them for more resources. Thank you!
- Very helpful and important for anyone working with data.
- I was really impressed with this workshop. It had so many wonderful resources and I learned a lot. The tutors were fantastic. … The materials were great and easy to understand as well. It was good to know I’m heading in the right direction with data management and know how to really improve my data management. I come from an interpretive/qualitative background and often this type of research activity is learned on the job or through learning what not to do the next time around, so having this type of workshop can really help people like me prepare a lot better for the next big project. Thank you for all your hard work!
- Very helpful at all levels of experience