Meet Our Staff: Christy McDaniel

Image of librarian Christy McDaniel
How do you work with faculty and students in your current role at the UW Tacoma Library? 

I am working with mostly science and math faculty right now, so they can include a section about finding resources from library databases in their class. I also work with  students who want help with the research process in any subject at all. I can answer questions via email or in a virtual meeting. 

What drew you to working in libraries?

I was a high school teacher, and I wanted to continue working in a capacity where I teach, but I didn’t want to decide what students should learn (or grade papers!). Now I teach students to help them achieve goals they have set for themselves. I also love the variety of roles we play in the library.

What parts of your job are you most excited about?

I love that my job is to keep learning so that I can best help students. I feel excited for the students I meet: the difficulties they overcome and the things they accomplish inspire me.

How has your job shifted because of COVID-19?

Everything is just a bit harder now that it involves scheduling a meeting or chatting via Slack instead of running into coworkers in the office. And I’m juggling parenting and work from home now, which is difficult. But mostly, I miss students! The work days when I get to help a student via zoom or come into a class to talk about library resources are the best days. 

Have you read or watched anything good lately? 

I need escapist TV right now. I’m excited to watch season 3 of Carmen Sandiego (Netflix) with my kids. And Padma Lakshmi’s Taste the Nation (Hulu) is wonderful. 

Any advice for UWT students?

Finding, using, and evaluating information is usually a hidden part of your assignments. It’s not easy, so please ask for help when you need it. We at the library want to see you succeed.