COMPASSION IN SCIENCE

MISSION, VISION, VALUES AND OATH

DARE 2 CARE’S MISSION:

To assist all members of the research team to recognize compassion fatigue and raise awareness, provide tools, strategies and resources for managing human emotions in working with and caring for laboratory animals.

DARE 2 CARE’S VISION:

To encourage and implement not only a university-wide belief, but also a global acceptance that Compassion Fatigue in Laboratory Animal Professionals is prevalent and can be prevented through education, support systems, and self-care.

DARE 2 CARE’S VALUES:

• Dare 2 Care is committed to respect all, value diversity, and accept all people with equality.
  • We recognize and value the the contribution and participation of all volunteer committee members, communities, and organizations.
  • We strive for excellence of quality and sustainable strength through continuous improvement.

DARE 2 CARE’S OATH:

As a member of the University of Washington’s Dare 2 Care Compassion in Science Committee, I will uphold our committee’s professional and ethical standards of respect, integrity, and honesty towards my fellow lab animal professionals. I am equally committed to the ethical care, health, well-being and positive environment of our research animals. I will attempt to help personnel affected by compassion fatigue by providing resources and/or by listening with care to their concerns, and if I am unable to help, I will refer them to my fellow D2C members or to other UW resources as needed.