Thanks for your interest in joining our research group.  Each year I receive many requests about availability of positions, application process, etc, so I’ll use this space to handle common questions.

If you are interested in my group and wish to know if you will be competitive in the application process, please send me an email with a: (1) CV; (2)  copy of your transcript (unofficial is fine); (3)  a statement of research interest, and; (4)  technical writing sample.

Are you accepting students for the next year?

I rarely know this with any certainty.  A lot depends on funding availability i.e. does a particular grant get funded.  You can feel free to ask but my answer will probably be “I don’t know”.

How does graduate admissions work?

In the School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences, admissions decisions are primarily made by individual faculty. Each year the School receives over 150 applications, of which roughly 140 meet our minimum requirements are are therefore “acceptable”.  Faculty must have funding in hand to make an offer to a student.

Where does this funding come from?

Usually from research grants.  In addition, the School has a small number of recruiting fellowships that are awarded to top-ranked applicants.  Prospective students might also apply for their own fellowships, such as the NSF GRFP, NOAA Sea Grant Population Dynamics,  and the Department of Defense Graduate fellowships.

How do I maximize my chances of getting an offer?

Apart from gaining your own funding, the best thing to do is to work hard in classes, get some diverse research experience, and have a clear idea of why you want to attend graduate school.  And learn to write well.

Can we arrange a time to talk about your research and opportunities in my lab?

Generally no.  I’m sure you are a delightful person and I would enjoy talking with you.  But the reality is that I get many many requests each year, and I simply cannot afford the time to meet with all of you in advance. The best thing to do is apply and if I have a clearer sense of openings in my lab and your interests, I can reach out to you.

I have lots more questions about the application process, who should I talk to?

Try contacting the School’s graduate program advisor.  They will be able to answer all of your questions.