About Me – Eve Harene Dewan

I come to Oregon from the opposite coast, where I am a graduate student in Anthropology at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island. I received my Bachelor’s degree in Classical Studies and Art History from Earlham College, a small Quaker school in Indiana. After graduating, I moved to Austin, Texas, where I briefly worked as a professional magician’s assistant before becoming a case manager for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Although I ultimately decided to return to archaeology, this experience shaped my interest in understanding how individuals experience institutional spaces, as well as my commitment to doing work that extends beyond the academic archaeological community.  

My research interests focus on the material culture of colonialism and resistance at schools for Native American children in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. I have previously excavated at the Mount Pleasant Indian Industrial Boarding School in Michigan, a collaborative project between Central Michigan University and the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe. I have also done archival research at the Heard Museum in Phoenix, Arizona, studying documents from the Phoenix Indian School. This multi-sited research led to my Master’s paper, which was about the role of sports and physical education at these federally-run, off-reservation boarding schools. My other archaeological experience has been in Greece, Romania, Virginia, New York, and, most recently, on the Caribbean island of Montserrat.  

When I’m not doing schoolwork, I love trying out new recipes–the spicier the better. I also try to make time for regular soccer games, solving puzzles, and playing any and all board games with friends. Although I am not allowed to own a dog in my apartment, I compensate with an amiable hermit crab, five colorful fish, and countless plants. They help keep my home lively and get me through the cold New England winters!