2019 – 2020 Officers

President: Wes Tatum

Hello, I’m Wes Tatum and currently a 5th year PhD candidate in Materials Science and Engineering. My research focuses on understanding next-generation materials for solar cells and other electronic devices. My passion for clean energy is why I helped found GRID, and I believe that students can be global leaders in implementing these solutions.  I love being an officer of GRID and I’m look forward to the rest of this year!

Social Impact Team Lead: Breena Sperry

I am currently a PhD student in Material Science & Engineering at UW.  I’m interested in the crossover between scientific research, how technology interfaces with the public, and how policies can influence the adoption of technology.  As the Social Impacts Lead Officer, I am excited to explore the impact clean energy has on the communities GRID has installed solar panels in.

Business Team Lead: Conner Sayles

Hello, I’m Conner, and I am currently a senior studying Finance. I am particularly interested in micro-finance for solar systems as well as renewable energy investing. I currently lead the business team which orders components, develops business plans for projects, and increases cost efficiency for modules. I hope to give more business students interested in clean energy finance a hands on experience while at UW & through Grid!

Logistics Team Lead: Griffin Ruehl

Hello, I’m Griffin Ruehl, I’m a PhD student in chemical engineering. I’m fascinated by the intersection of the social and technical aspects of implementing renewable energy. I’m working towards a career in international development as a technical expert in renewable energy technologies. I currently lead the logistical team for GRID, being primarily responsible for coordinating travel, in-country logistics, and international partnerships!

Technical Team Lead: Ian Murphy

My name is Ian! I am a fourth year PhD student in the Chemistry department. My research expertise is in the design of  nano-materials for applications in next generation batteries, fuel cells, and electrolyzers. I am currently GRID’s technical team lead, overseeing the development of our solar micro-grid modules and wireless data logging systems.

Local Outreach Lead: Estelle Thomas

My name is Estelle Thomas. I earned a baccalaureate in Science, specialised in Science of Life and Earth, while studying in Europe. I am currently studying International Affairs and Dance at the University of Washington. Ethically pursuing environmental sustainability, equity, and diversity in all their complexity has led me to be involved in the GRID student-organisation. This year, I look forward to expanding the outreach of GRID and solidifying the perpetuance of the mission we stand for.