Adviser Appreciations

Dalia Correa
Spanish & Portuguese Studies

I appreciate Dalia for her support and collaboration as we continue to work together to support our students. Her care, understanding and empathy is extraordinary and I’m so happy for her expertise and guidance. @}—->——-

–Appreciated by Lorna Hamill

Wanwisa Kisalang
Mechanical Engineering

Birds of a feather must stick together! Shout out to the MEB Grad advisor team!

–Appreciated by Sheila Prusa

Eric Huberty & Jen Ross
Civil & Environmental Engineering

Thank you both for your work on graduate program advising – I know that CEE students and faculty greatly appreciate your efforts!

–Appreciated by Bryan Crockett

Tori Gottlieb
iSchool

It’s -er. You know I’m right.

–Appreciated by Samantha Scherer

Noéll Bernard-Kingsley
ESS

Noéll is the glue that holds our department together. We are all constantly in awe of Noéll’s ability to juggle multiple competing priorities and contribute thoughtful feedback on the issues facing our departmental community. Thank you, Noéll, for making come to work something to look forward to.

–Appreciated by Meghan Oxley

Eloise Boyle
Drama

Eloise, you are the most dedicated and faithful advisor there is. Thanks for your leadership and kindness to all, especially me! Sheila

–Appreciated by Sheila Prusa

Noéll Bernard-Kingsley
ESS

Wow. You are a truly amazing adviser (and human being). Your compassion and quiet ferocity are awe-inspiring. I feel incredibly lucky to have you as a colleague and a friend.

–Appreciated by Samantha Scherer

Joe Harper Kowalczyk
Public Health-Global Health Major

Ever since Joe took on the Event Planning for APAC, he has been a leader. He coordinates the meetings between organizations for event planning, and ensures each event has the volunteers needed. From Lunch & Learns to the Spring Brunch (today), he has taken on the challenges of Tri-Board coordination of events and in his own low-key and generous way, fills the gap when needed. I am truly grateful him on Events planning for APAC.

–Appreciated by Brenda Larson

Marie Angeles
Evans School of Public Policy and Governance

For all of your hard work on the Graduate School Fair this year, which was a huge undertaking! It happened because of you.

–Appreciated by Dylan High

Leah Panganiban
Global Innovation Exchange

Leah has been a great inspiration through the NACADA meeting and events. It was so nice to see your leadership in action and have you model excellence in the promotion of diversity and inclusion. Thank you! @}—->——

–Appreciated by Lorna Hamill

Liberty Bracken
Dir of Football Acad/Athletics Advising

Liberty has been an amazing support for me this past year. It’s been especially tough to go through the experience of losing of a friend and colleague. Thank you for being so special and supportive! @}—->——

–Appreciated by Lorna Hamill

Mark Weitzenkamp
Poli Sci

Mark has been an *invaluable* resource and sounding board over the years and is who I call when stumped about a policy or at a loss for what to do to help a student. Mark advises colleagues and students alike with humor, a deep understanding and interest in the policies that affect students. What’s more, he does all of this with obvious care and regard for everyone with whom he crosses paths. Grazie di cuore, Mark! Sei un Tesoro!

–Appreciated by Sabrina Tatta

Kate Gayle
Mechanical Engineering

To my smart, fun, and fashionable colleague Kate! Thanks for the tip on LIKEtoKNOW.it!

–Appreciated by Sheila Prusa

Patrick Pineda
Dept of Economics

Patrick has been an incredible support and resource as I stumble through my journey in Academic Advising. Thank you for being so helpful! @}—->——-

–Appreciated by Lorna Hamill

Jennifer Tsai
Industrial & Systems Engineering

Jennifer: You know more about how this place works and how to get things done than anyone else at the UW. Here’s to the winner of “Stump the Chump” every time! Many, many thanks, Sheila

–Appreciated by Sheila Prusa

Qanani Kalil
Law, Societies & Justice

I’m so happy for the partnership with Qanani. Her willingness to combine efforts with AES are truly treasured! @}—}——

–Appreciated by Lorna Hamill

Brian & Mariko
Civil & Environmental Engineering

Thank you both so much for all of you hard work this year!

–Appreciated by Bryan Crockett

Laura Marquez
GWSS

I’m thankful for the partnership with Laura and her amazing support to collaborate events with AES! Her kindness and wisdom is awesome! @}—}——-

–Appreciated by Lorna Hamill

Kalei Combs
Bioengineering

You have an amazing can-do, positive attitude – our graduate students are lucky to have you as their advisor! And I am lucky to work with such a wonderful team-mate 🙂 Thank you!

–Appreciated by Chetana Acharya

Kai Wise
American Indian Studies

I appreciate the partnership with Kai and her willingness to support and collaborate events with AES! @}—}——-

–Appreciated by Lorna Hamill

Amy Fox
SAFS

You’re the Energizer Bunny of advising. I am so in awe of your tireless efforts to advocate and support our grads and to hold our leadership to a higher standard. You’re an inspiration – SAFS is lucky to have you and I’m a better person for getting to work with you AND have you as a friend.

–Appreciated by Samantha Scherer

Dave Morrin
School of Social Work

I’m grateful for the partnership with Dave and his willingness to take the lead and collaborate events with AES! His leadership is truly exceptional! @}—}——-

–Appreciated by Lorna Hamill

Jillian McBride-Payne
Public Health-Global Health Major

Jillian joined our team in December and jumped in head first with advising and programming. Centering students at the core of her approach, Jillian’s experiences from former institutions has been valuable in enhancing our policies and practices.

–Appreciated by Joe Harper Kowalczyk

Alex
HCDE

Thanks for organizing events that bring advisors together and for making them fun!

–Appreciated by Kalei

Casey Renneberg
Chemistry

Thanks for all your hard work on our summer A&O Math and Science presentation!!

–Appreciated by Barbara Owens

Liz Shriver
Public Health-Global Health Major

Liz is such a great support for students because she goes above and beyond in assisting students in navigating UW systems; especially hardship withdrawals, tuition forfeitures, emergency aid, and more. She has taken our advising team to the next level through her efforts.

–Appreciated by Joe Harper Kowalczyk

Aliyah Vinikoor
Social Work

Aliyah partnered with my colleagues and I to create opportunities for MSW students to learn about pursuing a concurrent MPA, and has become an expert at advising students about all aspects of the concurrent degrees!

–Appreciated by Caitlin Blomquist

Chetana
BIOE

Thank you for always being a positive force and supporting me in my work! You are a great team player.

–Appreciated by Kalei

Maria Sefchick -Del Paso
OMAD/EOP

Maria thank you for your passion and dedication in working with URM students and always going the extra mile to support and advocate for our EOP students. You’re an amazing adviser!

–Appreciated by Luz Iniguez

Lauren Fryhle
College of Engineering

Lauren, thank you for the grace and kindness you have shown me during my first year in the office. You have always greeted my questions with patience and I’m so thankful for that! I admire the positive attitude you have when working with students. You are a constant advocate for them – always using empathy to understand the perspectives of others. I am incredibly thankful to call you my mentor and friend!

–Appreciated by Hannah Anderson

Lisa Nordlund
School of Environmental and Forest Sciences

Lisa can do it all, and stays calm with a huge advising load! She handles two very different majors very well, I appreciate all she does GREATLY! She is a gem!!!

–Appreciated by Michelle Trudeau

LeAnne Jones Wiles & Dan Feetham
First Year Programs & UAA Advising

I so appreciate how much each of you do to serve both our students and our professional community. Thank you so much for your hard work and efforts on behalf of us all.

–Appreciated by Noell Bernard-Kingsley

Nicole Minkoff
Chemical Engineering

You are one of the most intentional people I know! I appreciate our chats and am always inspired by your outlook. Best wishes on your upcoming adventures!

–Appreciated by Chetana Acharya

Nell Gross
History

Thank you so much to Nell Gross for taking the lead in coordinating our Stand with Student Working Group! There is so much call for us to be organized around this issue and Nell’s organization, persistence, and dedication to the cause are key in launching this conversation forward within our community. Thank you, Nell!!

–Appreciated by Noell Bernard-Kingsley

Kathleen Rascon
HCDE

Kathleen has been our organized, compassionate, and fearless leader in GPAA this year! I have so appreciated her dedication, effectiveness, and willingness to lead and ensure success. Thank you so much, Kathleen, for all you do for GPAA and the Graduate Advisor Community!

–Appreciated by Noell Bernard-Kingsley

Marycarmen Becerra-Nunez
OMAD-CAMP

Thank you Marycarmen for your hard work in increasing access and retention of URM students at UW. Thank you also for bring your passion and love everyday to work as you support our freshman CAMP students.

–Appreciated by Luz Iniguez

Shanai Lechtenberg
College of Engineering

Shanai, I am so grateful that I have had the opportunity to get to know you this past year! I admire you for your commitment to students, the positivity and enthusiasm that you bring to everything you do, and the support and encouragement that you provide to others. You are incredible! Thank you for all that you do!

–Appreciated by Chloe Dolese

Andres Huante
OMAD_CAMP

Thank you Andres for your amazing work, students really appreciate all the support and guidance you provide them. Many of the CAMP students also see you as a role model, thank you for leading by example.

–Appreciated by Luz Iniguez

Raven Avery
Allen School of Computer Science & Engineering

Raven, you have hit the ground running with our diversity efforts this past year! I really appreciate all that you do to make the Allen School a more inclusive and welcoming place for students, staff, and faculty. You are making a big difference and it’s appreciated!

–Appreciated by Chloe Dolese

Sarah Garner, Stephanie Swanson, Sam Scherer, Amy Fox & Elise deGoede Dorough
Math, EE, SAFS, SAFS, CSE

Thank you for being my support as we traverse this pathway of motherhood/career growth/being advisers together! I appreciate your advice, philosophies, candor and perspective beyond measure.

–Appreciated by Noell Bernard-Kingsley

Shanai Lechtenberg
College of Engineering

I can’t put into words how thankful I am to work with you Shanai! Never have I met someone who puts so much energy and heart into their work. You strive for excelence in everything that you do and that is SO obvious in the wonderful programs and resources that you create for students. Thank you for the kindness you’ve showed me during my first year on the team. You make me proud to be part of our team!

–Appreciated by Hannah Anderson

Crystal Eney

Thank you so much for all that you do to support our Allen School students and staff, Crystal! I am always so impressed with your constant commitment to making the Allen School and the UW in general a better place for UW students. You make the UW a wonderful place to work! Thank you!

–Appreciated by Chloe Dolese

Jenifer Hiigli

Jen, you are seriously one of the best advisers I know! You are insanely organized, work tirelessly to support our students and our staff, and are ALWAYS willing to lend a hand and answer questions. I admire you in so many ways and am so grateful for all that you do! Thank you!

–Appreciated by Chloe Dolese

GPAA Executive Board

Thank you so much to all the 17-18 GPAA Board Members and Chairs (Bryan Crockett, Kathleen Rascon, Kate Gayle, Kelly Hoeft, Megan Jewell, Curtis Black, Julia Carlson, Marie Angeles, Dylan High, Marrisa Heringer, Allsion Sherrill and Peggy Sharp)! Thank you for your time, dedication and leadership! Working with you this year has been productive and fun!

–Appreciated by Noell Bernard-Kingsley

Gabrielle Gruber
Speech & Hearing Sciences

Our undergrads are beyond lucky to have such a dedicated and thoughtful adviser in their corner. Gabrielle goes above and beyond with each of her students to make sure they are well served. I’m grateful to be on her team!

–Appreciated by Chrissie Chang

AEP, APAC, and GPAA Boards

It has been amazing to have members from APAC, AEP, and GPAA around the table throughout this academic year to tackle issues and be creative about our community together! Thank you to the three boards for being willing to work together, and for coming to the table with serious engagement and dynamic creativity to work on community building and enhancing professional development and support for advis(e/o)rs at UW. A special shout out to everyone who secured a room for our meetings, and also to Alex Llapitan for taking notes/creating diagrams! I am excited to see where working together in these groups will take us moving forward!

–Appreciated by Noell Bernard-Kingsley

Rakeb Million
Speech & Hearing Sciences

Rakeb’s passion and enthusiasm for our work is inspiring. Our students and faculty alike benefit so much from her efforts on their behalf.

–Appreciated by Chrissie Chang

Meghan Oxley, Nell Gross, Sam Scherer, Tori Gottleib
ESS, History, SAFS, iSchool

It’s been almost a year since we started to work together in thinking about advocacy/activism as advising! Thank you all for your time, leadership, dedication, creativity, and activism around our students, colleagues, and faculty! I am looking forward to continuing to work together to think about these issues and take action as we can!

–Appreciated by Noell Bernard-Kingsley

Maggie Ryan

Shout-out to Maggie Ryan! I really appreciate your forward thinking, your sense of humor, and your drive to improve the student experience for all students regardless of their major! I am so grateful for you!

–Appreciated by Chloe Dolese

Dalia Correa
Spanish & Portuguese

Dalia is a wonderful colleague and adviser. While we were sorry to see her go to Spanish last September she’s been a wonderful mentor to our new advisor and I am forever grateful to her. I see that she is making wonderful inroads in the Spanish department and they are very lucky to have her!is doing wonderful work with our majors, student outreach and making connections wherever she goes. She is super creative and a joy to work with as a colleague. You rock Lorna!!

–Appreciated by Anjelica Hernandez-Cordero

Lacey Schmidt

You are awesome! Thank you so much for all of your hard work (and long hours on the phone) supporting prospective students and their families this past month. Your customer service, level of compassion for students and their families, and calm demeanor is always appreciated! We are really lucky to have you as part of our team!

–Appreciated by Chloe Dolese

Lorna T. Hamill
American Ethnic Studies

I’m so grateful for Lorna and all that she brings to her role as an adviser. She’s been in her role for less than a year and is doing wonderful work with our majors, student outreach and making connections wherever she goes. She is super creative and a joy to work with as a colleague. You rock Lorna!!

Nicole Minkoff
Chemical Engineering

Thank you for your awesome leadership of APAC these last two years! You are amazingly adept at keeping us organized and moving us forward – which is no small feat! We will miss you next year!

–Appreciated by Nell Gross

Holly
Bioengineering

Holly deeply cares about advocating for students. I appreciate her empathy and knowledge of resources for helping students.

–Appreciated by Kalei

Jamie Barnhorst
C21

Thank you for all that you have done for the advising community over the years! I really appreciate your commitment to students and your ability to bring people together from all over campus. Congratulations on your new role as Project Manager in A&S!

–Appreciated by Nell Gross

Chloe Dolese & Holly Williams
CSE & BioE

Chloe and Holly made significant contributions to the first-ever College of Engineering Admitted Student Preview. They were so generous with their time and energy to take on this HUGE project in addition to all of their regular work. Chloe and Holly brought so much care, attention to detail, and authentic enthusiasm to this program and it made all the difference. There’s no way we could have accomplished such a well-orchestrated event without them. I’m so thankful for all of their hard work to welcome the inaugural DTC class!!

–Appreciated by Shanai Lechtenberg

Tracy Maschman Morrissey
Department of History

Thank you for being such a fantastic mentor! You are a great supervisor and an incredibly conscientious advisor and I am so glad to work with you!

–Appreciated by Nell Gross

Alex Llapitan
HCDE

Alex is an outstanding advisor! His warmth and engaging personality draws current and prospective students, and he goes out of his way to help every one of them. No matter how busy he is, there is always time to help students, faculty and staff. HCDE is so lucky to have him on our team!

–Appreciated by Pat Reilly

Lauren Fryhle
College of Engineering

Lauren is always contributing new ideas to our office and has such a great attitude of flexibility in the face of changing programs. She’s always optimistic, collaborative, and provides thoughtful feedback. Her ability to engage with and inspire students shines in her new role as Lead Academic Adviser spearheading the Engineering Peer Educator program. I’m so thankful to work with such a great innovator!

–Appreciated by Shanai Lechtenberg

Bryan Crockett
Electrical Engineering

Bryan – Thank you for supporting me and the entire advising team through our staff shortages over the last quarter. Your willingness to be there and cover for us as we continued to pursue professional development opportunities and as we dealt with issues that took us out of the office all while you were spearheading the hiring of our undergrad position is very much appreciated!

–Appreciated by Stephanie Swanson

Hannah Anderson
College of Engineering

Hannah has been such a fabulous addition to our team this year! She’s jumped right in and has contributed so much. Hannah has such a heart for students and always provides a warm, engaging, genuine presence for them. She’s also the kind of colleague that notices needs in the office or during a program and quickly, discreetly moves to take care of them. I’m so thankful for her upbeat energy, her commitment to student success, and her thoughtfulness.

–Appreciated by Shanai Lechtenberg

Nell Gross
History

I appreciate Nell for all the collaborative work she does across campus to better serve students and advisers.

–Appreciated by Julian Barr

Noell Bernard-Kingsley
Earth & Space Sciences

Working with Noell is one of the highlights of my job; she plays a vital role in the success of our department and serves as an empathetic ear for many in the ESS community (not just our graduate students). I am fortunate to have such a fantastic supervisor, mentor, and advising colleague.

–Appreciated by Meghan Oxley

Chloe Dolese
Computer Science & Engineering

Thank you for all the great work you did on the DTC ASP and for keeping me sane!

–Appreciated by Maggie Ryan

Shanai Lechtenberg
College of Engineering

Coming in a year ago, stepping into a new role, university and HUGE admission changes, you have handled everything with positivity and superb humor. All you have done is very much appreciated.

–Appreciated by Stephanie Swanson

Chetana Acharya
Department of Bioengineering

Chetana brings an infectious energy and positivity to her work, which makes her an amazing colleague and collaborator. Additionally, she is always looking for innovative ways to improve her approach to working with students and faculty. Thank you for being such a great friend and role model, Chetana!

–Appreciated by Holly Williams

Gabe Skoog
NELC

No one can tell a story like you, Gabe! It’s your genuine interest in people and amazing ability to listen and hear that makes you the wonderful adviser and colleague you are.

–Appreciated by Eloise Boyle

Chloe Dolese
Computer Science and Engineering

Chloe is an incredibly hard working and caring adviser! She is always willing to go above and beyond her job duties in order to improve the UW experience for students. She is also an very supportive colleague and collaborator. Congratulations to her for continuing her professional journey next year as a student in the UW Masters in Leadership in Higher Education!

–Appreciated by Holly Williams

Caitlin Goldbaum
Career and Internship Center

Thank you so much for the excellence you bring to everything you do: advising, collaboration, committee work, career coaching, and for the incredibly generous help you have been to me.

–Appreciated by Eloise Boyle

Lisa Nordlund
School of Forestry

Thanks, Lisa, for always showing up! Since I’ve started in my new role you have been a consistent, friendly, helpful face at events (FSVD, Ambassador training, ASP’s, etc.) and I really appreciate it!

–Appreciated by Barbara Owens

Jennifer Tsai
Engineering

I appreciate all that you bring to advising and our campus! Thank you for sharing your insights!

–Appreciated by Eloise Boyle

Mary Harty & Casey Renneberg
Chemistry

Thank you both so much for all your help and expertise on our new & improved presentation for summer A&O! It’s a pleasure to work with you both!

–Appreciated by Barbara Owens

Clay Schwinn
History

Clay – Thank you for your leadership! Your support is much appreciated – cheers to another year!! – Chetana

–Appreciated by Chetana Acharya

Nell Gross
History

Thank you, Nell, for your spirit of collaboration, your support and your great sense of humor!

–Appreciated by Eloise Boyle

Jennifer Tsai
Industrial & Systems Engineering

Jennifer works to create a positive and meaningful experience for both her undergrad and PhD students. With humor and patience, Jennifer has provided excellent guidance in issues of academic advising. She is a lifelong learner who sets the bar high for herself and those around her. I appreciate her.

–Appreciated by Sheila Prusa

Peggy Sharp
BioE

Peggy – I am in awe of your organization and planning! Working with you helps me do a better job – thank you my partner-in-crime! Cheers always – Chetana

–Appreciated by Chetana Acharya

Tracy Maschman Morrissey
History

Thank you for your warmth and incredibly calm manner!

–Appreciated by Eloise Boyle

Joe Kobayashi
Marine Biology

Thanks Joe for tons of help since the day I started with CoEnv! Sharing your experience & knowledge with me helped immensely in getting up to speed in my new role. I’m so glad I get to work with you!!

–Appreciated by Barbara Owens

Kalei Combs
Bioengineering

Kalei – I appreciate how can-do and positive you are! Thanks for your attention to detail, small and large – the faculty, students and staff at BIOE are lucky to have you. Cheers to another year!! – Chetana

–Appreciated by Chetana Acharya

Chetana Acharya
Bioengineering

I appreciate Chetana’s positive attitude even on the hardest of days.

–Appreciated by Kalei Combs

Sabrina Tatta
French and Italian

Thank you for always being there with an ear to listen and great, great experience to share!

–Appreciated by Eloise Boyle

Patrick Pineda
Economics

Patrick is an adviser who goes above and beyond for his students. Our undergraduates are lucky to have someone who is more than willing to put in the time and effort to make sure that they are heard and are valued.

–Appreciated by Ahna Kotila

Holly Williams
BioE

Holly – you are so kind and engaged with all our undergrads. They are lucky to have your support as they navigate BIOE, UW and beyond! Cheers to another year!! – Chetana

–Appreciated by Chetana Acharya

Sheila Prusa
Engineering

I am so thankful for your generous spirit and wisdom!

–Appreciated by Eloise Boyle

Maggie, Chloe, Crystal, & Lacey
CSE

Doing my job for me so that I could have a great leave last year!

–Appreciated by Jenifer Hiigli

Joe Kobayashi and Meghan Oxley
Marine Biology and Earth & Space Sciences

Thank you Joe and Meghan for your patience and humor as I fumbled through my first NACADA presentation with you two. There is no better way to get to know our colleagues than hammering out slide and content on something everyone cares about!

–Appreciated by Stephanie Swanson

Kelly Hoeft
Social Work

Thanks so much for all you do (and I’m never letting you go on vacation this close to autumn registration and graduation again!)

–Appreciated by Lin Murdock

Mark Weitzenkamp
Political Science

A shout out to Mark Weitzenkamp who is a great trouble shooter and person with whom to talk to think through any policy or unusual situation. He also has an unbelievable amount of institutional knowledge! Thanks Mark!

–Appreciated by Tracy Maschman Morrissey

Nell Gross
History

Nell is one of the most dedicated advisors and collaborators. She is constantly seeking out new and better ways to serve the students in her department, as well as those in the College as a whole. It was such a treat developing and co-teaching the A&S Career Lab with her this year. Here’s to many more partnerships in the upcoming years!

–Appreciated by Jamie Barnhorst

Bryan Crockett, Brenda Larson, May Lim, Katherine Sykes, and Stephanie Swanson
Electrical Engineering

It’s SHOCKING how awesome and fun it is to work with my buddEEs

–Appreciated by Dana Hansen

Peggy Sharp
Bioengineering

I love your intentionality! You are so forward thinking and ‘planful’!

–Appreciated by Chetana Acharya

Kelly Hostetler
Community, Environment & Planning

You are my rock! From my adviser to my colleague, thank you for always leading by example. You are a master of helping-others-help-themselves and CEP is so lucky to have you. Thank you!

–Appreciated by Megan Herzog

Aaron Robertson
Foster

Big thank you to my mentor! You’re so thoughtful and encouraging. I miss working with you everyday!

–Appreciated by Kathleen Rascon

Meghan Oxley
Earth and Space Sciences

Meghan has recently celebrated her first year anniversary with us in Earth and Space Sciences, and in the year she has been here she has been a champion and implementer of positive change in our community. Meghan is our undergraduate academic counselor and is a consummate student advocate and ally and serves as a champion for underrepresented, disenfranchised, and under-served groups in our department and in the larger UW community. Meghan serves the campus community as an instructor in Green Dot and is persistent about keeping these issues at the forefront of our planning and departmental culture. In fact, Meghan brings these perspectives of advocacy and inclusion to every aspect of her work in ESS as she becomes more familiar with our processes and policies, she asks the tough questions to clarify aims and goals, and how these reflect and communicate our values to our community. It is a pleasure to work with Meghan, and we’re so glad to have her on our team!

–Appreciated by Noell Bernard-Kingsley

Sabrina Tatta
French and Italian Studies

Thank you for your partnership, insights, and always being there willing to listen!

–Appreciated by Eloise Boyle

Jennifer Tsai
Industrial & Systems Engineering

Jennifer is the best co worker ever. She knows so much about advising and always has time to share her expertise. She’s compassionate and hard working, I am really lucky to have her as my mentor.

–Appreciated by Sheila Prusa

Jamie Barnhorst, Nell Gross, Jon Olivera, Alyssa Penner
C21, History, Career & Internship Center, LSJ

I am so grateful for the Career Lab dream team. Jamie, Nell, Jon, and Alyssa, collaborating with you last quarter was the highlight of my year!

–Appreciated by Caitlin Goldbaum

Kathy Wong
International Student Services

Thank you, gracias, shukran, merci, namaste, mahalo! You tirelessly answer my emails and v-mails with accurate, up-to-date information – thank you and your ISS colleagues for the important work that you all do to support our students!

–Appreciated by Chetana Acharya

First Year Programs Team
UAA

The team at FYP should be commended for continuing to keep academic advising central to the first-year orientation experience! I appreciate the ‘think tank’ space and method of planning meetings, and always look forward to working with such an efficient, professional, and forward-thinking team!

–Appreciated by Patrick Pineda

Margo Nims
Physics

It’s hard to be an UW academic adviser whose son is attending the UW. After changing his mind a few times regarding his major, he found a home in Physics. That had a lot to do with how wonderful Margo was to him. I could not be more grateful. Thank you, Margo!!!

–Appreciated by Michelle Townsend

Marycarmen Becerra-Nunez
College Assistance Migrant Program

Thanks for doing an amazing job recruiting your first CAMP cohort!

–Appreciated by Norma Ramirez

Chloe Dolese
Computer Science & Engineering

You came into our department and learned everything so quickly! You’re making such a big difference – we really appreciate it!

–Appreciated by Jenifer Hiigli

Caitlin Goldbaum
Drama and Musical Theater

Caitlin, you are nothing short of spectacular! The ways in which you incorporate storytelling, meaning-making, career readiness, and student care into your advising practice is truly inspiring and has pushed me to do the same. I’m so lucky to have collaborated with you over the last few years. You are such a strong asset to the UW Advising community and our students are all the better for having you in their lives. So grateful for you!

–Appreciated by Alyssa Penner

Norah Fisher
College of Education

Thank you to Norah for serving as my mentor, connecting me to resources, and inviting me to be a panelist at a GPAA Brown Bag!

–Appreciated by Caitlin Blomquist

Lauren Fryhle
College of Engineering

Lauren’s work ethic is amazing. She is a natural with students and leads by example. I’m always glad when Lauren is on my team.

–Appreciated by Sheila Prusa

Lauren Hutchinson
Graduate Enrollment Management Services

Thank you for your speedy, reliable help and good nature – amidst of all sorts of grad student questions!

–Appreciated by Brenda Larson

Patrick Pineda
Economics

Patrick epitomizes many of the valued qualities that personify advising. He cares for his students by thoughtfully listening, taking a genuine interest, and advocating for the disenfranchised. He cares for his colleagues by participation in bigger-picture conversations and taking leadership in our community. He is invested in accessibility, equality, and social justice, which are ever-present in his work and conversation here at UW. He is a passionate proponent of diversity, and sets an example by being supporting and speaking out for diversity here on campus. He carries these values from his professional life into his personal life, and with his volunteer and cultural teaching activities.

–Appreciated by Noell Bernard-Kingsley

APAC Executive Board
APAC

Thanks so much for what you do for all of us!

–Appreciated by Lin Murdock

Alyssa Penner
Law, Societies & Justice

Alyssa brings her enthusiasm and social justice lens to everything she does. She elevates every discussion, committee, and project she’s a part of, and she is not afraid to put her ideas into action. She is wise beyond her years, and I’ve been fortunate enough to collaborate with and learn from her for the past four years.

–Appreciated by Jamie Barnhorst

Kalei Combs
Bioengineering

You are amazing! Your positive & can-do attitude is infectious!

–Appreciated by Chetana Acharya

Eloise Boyle
Slavic Languages and Literature

Eloise has such good advice when dealing with challenging students and situations. She is a great resource when these situations occur – which is pretty much every day ; )

–Appreciated by Sheila Prusa

Samantha Scherer
School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences

Samantha is someone who embodies UW values. She is passionate about education, art, equality, community, and social justice. Her life is interdisciplinary; as an award-winning and practicing artist, she balances a tri-fold career which includes serving as a student advocate and student programs manager in the School of Aquatic and Fisheries Sciences as well as being a parent to a young child and serving her local community by actively supporting and advocating for the public school district. Samantha cares deeply about what is fair, and what is just; she never fails to bring the perspectives of disenfranchised groups to the forefront of the conversations being had around campus. She thinks carefully about our local communities, and despite her delicate balance is someone who is always ready and willing to pitch in for the greater good. Her passion for education manifests in taking on personal responsibility for improving educational access, both here at UW as well in her local community schools. Samantha is active; she does not just speak out, but she follows up her words with concrete actions and service. Beyond all this, Samantha is a thoughtful colleague, willing teammate, and supportive advisor. She manages to bring creativity and interest to our team, her sense of humor and a sense that the work we do together can and should be meaningful and fun.

–Appreciated by Noell Bernard-Kingsley

Dana Hansen
Electrical Engineering

Thank you, Dana for all you have brought to the EE department. I appreciate your patience and good humor as we dealt with a few departmental challenges. Your willingness to be creative on solutions and to speak up when things do not make sense is strengthening our unit. So glad you are part of the team!

–Appreciated by Stephanie Swanson

Lisa Nordlund

Lisa is an outstanding adviser with a huge case load–and does it all calmly and with a smile! She manages many, many priorities as well as students–and I hear great kudos from students as well as other staff! She is innovative, creative and a wonderful colleague!

–Appreciated by Michelle Trudeau

Eloise Boyle, Mark Weitzenkamp, Nancy Sisko, Gabriel Skoog
Slavic, Poli Sci, English, NELC

Eloise, Mark, Nancy and Gabe are among the colleagues who I most often check in with for a second opinion or who serve as one of many shining examples of what it means to care about our students, mentor them, advocate for them and in doing so bring greater meaning and value to our work here. I am at times delighted, at times inspired and always very thankful to be in their company as an advisor at UW. Thank you for all that you do for our students and for your colleagues.

–Appreciated by Sabrina Tatta

Bryan Crockett
Electrical Engineering

Bryan – thank you for all you do in EE. You have a quiet calm that resonates when we are dealing with challenges and your open door policy is very much appreciated and valued.

–Appreciated by Stephanie Swanson

Suzanna Martinez
Spanish and Portuguese

Suzanna was a wonderful colleague and excellent adviser in the Spanish & Portuguese dept. here. I will really miss her expertise and thoughtful interactions with students. Thank you so much, Suzanna for all your hard work! And all the best at UW Bothell!

–Appreciated by Linda Iltis

FTS Ladies
assorted

You ladies are the best, thanks for keeping me laughing all these years

–Appreciated by Dana Hansen

Jamie Barnhorst
C21

Jamie, you are a true gem. I’ve learned oh-so-much from you during my time at UW, and I so appreciate your constant dedication to innovation, genuine student learning, equity, and collaborative programming. Your energy is contagious, and I’m so lucky to count you as a colleague and friend. Thanks for pushing me to always be the best Adviser I can be!

–Appreciated by Alyssa Penner

Jennifer Tsai
Industrial and Systems Engineering

Jen is supportive and kind, open minded and wise. I am grateful to have her as a colleague.

–Appreciated by Sheila Prusa

Andres Huante
Biology

Thank you for doing such a great job w/ your very first recruited/advising cohort!

–Appreciated by Norma Ramirez

Leisa Schmidt
UW Tacoma Academic Advising Center

The Wonder Woman of advising!

–Appreciated by Jennifer Wilson

Kalei Combs
Bioengineering

While not an official “advisor”, Kalei has made learning about our grad programs and serving students directly a priority anyway! She is amazing!!

–Appreciated by Peggy Sharp

Jamie Barnhorst, Nell Gross, Caitlin Goldbaum, Alyssa Penner
C21, History, Drama and Musical Theater, LSJ

These ladies put together an amazing Career Course during Winter quarter open to all College of Arts and Sciences majors. They worked tirelessly to perfect their syllabus and each lesson plan and really helped the students engage deeply and learn about themselves. I am certain this was an amazing growth experience for each of the students in the course. I imagine it was pretty cool for the instructors too!

Holly Williams
Bioengineering

I love your holistic approach to advising! The UGs are lucky to have you in their corner.

–Appreciated by Chetana Acharya

Tracy Maschman Morrissey
History

Tracy, words can’t express how grateful I am to count you as both a colleague and friend. I’m so incredibly lucky to have been able to work with you over the last four years. Thanks for being my go-to sounding board, for your constant encouragement and tangible support, and for your clear dedication to the success of all students. Working with you has been an absolute joy.

–Appreciated by Alyssa Penner

May Lim
Electrical Engineering

May – you are awesome. Thank you for your energy and thoughtful approaches to your work in EE. You handle situations with grace and I love your enthusiasm around our WholeU team. So glad we get to work together more often!

–Appreciated by Stephanie Swanson

Nell Gross
History

Nell is an amazing advisor and colleague! She is an extremely quick learner, is always innovating and searching for new ways to reach students. She is also a forward thinker and thus, is often two steps ahead with any of our longer term projects. She is thoughtful, caring and very thorough with students and is just a wonderful asset to the Department of History! Thanks Nell!

Marie Potter
Informatics

Marie – thank you for all your contributions to the advising community. You are always open to sharing ideas and processes you have created, which has made this advising community stronger. You will be missed!

–Appreciated by Stephanie Swanson

Alex Lynch
LSJ

Alex, you are literally the best Adviser teammate I could ever imagine. Thanks for always keeping me laughing, for jumping in to get anything and everything done, for being a steady fountain of creative yet practical ideas, for knowing what I meant even when my words didn’t make sense, and for supporting our students with the utmost professionalism and care. You are simply tremendous and I’m so lucky to have been your colleague.

–Appreciated by Alyssa Penner

Patrick Pineda
Economics

Patrick, thanks for being such a supportive and helpful colleague over the years. You were so friendly and welcoming from the get-go, and I’ll always appreciate that! Thanks too for being an excellent cross-campus advocate for all advisers. I’m grateful for your leadership!

–Appreciated by Alyssa Penner

Raven Avery Alexander
CSE

Raven has moved support of students and development of programs forward in ways which go above and beyond our embedded and institutionally-defined purpose at various levels of the university. She sees herself as being personally responsible for improving this institution, access to higher education, and the experience of our students. It is my personal belief that one of the highest callings of our profession is to advocate for our students and Raven embodies this principle. While describing her role as an advisor, she describes herself as an advocate for a positive student experience. This includes assisting education researchers and qualitative assessments of the undergraduate student experience as well as a data-driven approach to shaping policy and programming.

–Appreciated by Noell Bernard-Kingsley

Suzanna Martinez
Was Spanish-Portugese Studies at Seattle, and now is CSS grad advisor at Bothell

For over 6 years Suzanna has been my trusted colleague and advising mentor, initially as I learned the ropes in undergraduate advising, and later when I moved into graduate advising. With humor, competency and patience, she has helped dispel the mysteries, clarify procedures, shared the miseries and provided excellent guidance in issues of of academic advising at the UW. I wish her well in her new position as Grad Advisor for CSS at UW Bothell.

–Appreciated by Brenda Larson

Chetana Acharya
Bioengineering

Chetana is awesome! She always puts her students first and goes above & beyond to support her team!

–Appreciated by Peggy Sharp

Caitlin Goldbaum
Drama and Musical Theater

Caitlin is a creative and innovative thinker. Her background in musical theater and the arts shapes the way she approaches her work, adding a unique and fresh perspective to her advising practice and teaching methods. It’s been a treat learning from and collaborating with her this past year on the C2CLC and A&S Career Lab!

–Appreciated by Jamie Barnhorst

Melissa Pritchard
CEE

Melissa and I worked together in the College of the Environment Student Services, and as an overlapping department, we worked closely together in many of our duties. In particular, I frequently found Melissa to be an ally in advocating for social justice and students across existing systems which both privilege and dis-empower students in our programs. Melissa displays bravery through her support and advocacy of any individual who is experiencing dis-empowerment, and is often the voice who initiates group conversations to bring light to issues and problems being discussed individually or brings these to the attention of those in leadership positions when others may feel hesitant to do so. Melissa feels strongly in promoting the empowerment of others, and providing resources that are needed for those in the community.

–Appreciated by Noell Bernard-Kingsley

Noell Bernard-Kingsley
Earth and Space Sciences

Thank you Noell for your willingness to be a sounding board on life. Whether work or family related, you bring a great perspective and are never judgmental, even when I bring the most bizarre thoughts and questions into the conversation! I applaud your honesty and spirit 🙂

–Appreciated by Stephanie Swanson

Kelly Hoeft
Social Work

Kelly is great at figuring out what needs to be done and taking care of it. She is always so pleasant to be around and quietly leads us in the direction we should be going. I’m so glad you were on the APAC board these past two years, Kelly.

–Appreciated by Sheila Prusa

Leah Panganiban
AA

Leah embodies many of the qualities that represent our profession; she is kind, patient, and a great listener; she is genuinely interested in those around her; she is a passionate advocate for students; she believes in the value of higher education and works tirelessly towards creating accessibility; she is sensitive, compassionate, and respectful about everything. Leah lives and breathes the understanding that everyone’s unique differences, cultural backgrounds, ethnic identities, socioeconomic history, and personal beliefs create the diversity that enriches our institution. She works to create a positive, inclusive, and meaningful experience for both her students and her colleagues. She serves the advising community here in so many ways.

–Appreciated by Noell Bernard-Kingsley

Holly Williams
Bioengineering

Holly tirelessly serves our BIOE UGs! She put together an awesome line-up of workshops this academic year that address our students’ biggest needs!

–Appreciated by Peggy Sharp

Dana Hansen
English

Dana is the rock star of the communications world. She is so good at knowing what needs to be done and doing it. The APAC board will miss her next year!

–Appreciated by Sheila Prusa

Nell Gross
History

Nell, I am so grateful for your thorough, collaborative, and innovative approach to advising. I love knowing I can always bounce ideas off of you, no matter how silly! You have been an absolutely tremendous colleague and I’m so grateful we’ve been able to partner on so many awesome new programs for our students. YOU ROCK and the UW is truly lucky to have you!

–Appreciated by Alyssa Penner

Brenda Larson
Electrical Engineering

Brenda – Thank you for tirelessly working to support our EE women. I know how much time and effort you have placed into rallying for conferences, financial support and professional development opportunities for students. It is truly appreciated.

–Appreciated by Stephanie Swanson

Skip to toolbar