Meet Our Interns: Jueun

How Did You Prepare For Internship Interviews?

Intern: Jueun O.

In front of my new desk at WA L&I

Because English is my second language, the thought of an interview was very frightening and intimidating to me. The day before my interview I could not sleep at all and thought about ways to get out of my situation. Even up to the day of the interview, I felt very reluctant to open the door and enter the interview room out of fear. After two previous interviews at other organizations, I was very discouraged and worried that I would not be capable of fulfilling my internship. The Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences’s Internship and Career Services Manager, Hayley, supported me by encouraging me to continue applying and interviewing for internships. She helped me tremendously by giving me a few commonly asked questions and practicing my answers with me. I went to my third interview thinking it was my last opportunity and was even more nervous than before my previous interviews. However, the interview went on more positively than my previous interviews and I knew my practice helped! John, the Compliance Manager for the Department of Labor and Industries told me I could start my internship the following Monday. I was overcome with shock and happiness and (not trying to be dramatic but) I felt as if my dream came true.

What I want future environmental health students to learn from my experience is to not hesitate to ask your advisor for help because they are always excited to help you in any way they can.

I am going to participate in an internship program for the Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) industrial Hygiene for 10 weeks. I will assist Industrial Hygienists and watch what they do during opening and closing conferences, employee interviews, and sampling, identification, and evaluation of occupational hazards. I am looking forward to the many things I will learn and experience during my internship and experience at the work field.

2 comments