During the 4th Annual MSBA Applied Project Showcase on June 4, 2021, the Milgard Center for Business Analytics (CBA) sponsored a panel discussion on this important topic during the event.  The panel was moderated by our own Milgard MSBA 2021 Graduate, Gauri Patil, and you can watch a recording of the panel discussion starting at 15 minutes, 40 seconds here.

Moderator – Gauri Patil, MSBA –  Milgard MSBA 2021 Graduate – UW Tacoma Milgard School of Business, MSBA Applied Project for the City of Lynnwood).

The panelists included:

Jessica Schlicher, MD, MBA – Medical Director, Mission Control & Virtual Hospital, CHI Franciscan, CommonSpirit Health

Krystal Tsosie, MPH, MA – Ph.D Candidate, Vanderbilt University & Co-Founder & Secretary Board of Directors, Native BioData Consortium

Lindsey Grays, MSBA – Milgard MSBA 2021 Graduate – UW Tacoma Milgard School of Business & Executive Coordinator, Gender Equality Division, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Aaron Rumph, MSBA – Data Analytics Manager, CommonSpirit Health & Co-Founder & Analytics Consultant, AP3 Analytics

The panelists shared their pathways into the field of data and analytics while highlighting the barriers to entry for women & BIPOC, including what’s at stake when the racial and gender composition don’t match up with the population. The panelists also discussed the impact of discrimination through data models and algorithms and how data scientists can work towards more equitable and inclusive data science communities and applications.

“This panel discussion had a very positive effect on my journey as a woman and POC,” Gauri shared. “It gave a voice to my thoughts and the opportunity to find other like-minded people. In addition, the panelists shared their candid stories and experiences, which stirred up a strong desire to continue doing in whatever possible way to help create an inclusive and equitable place for everyone.”

Gauri was inspired to lead and moderate the discussion given her own journey into the field of data & analytics.  “Before being a woman and person of color in data and analytics, I am a woman from a patriarchal society,” said Gauri. “To choose my own path instead of a pre-defined one of becoming a local school teacher, I had to trust my abilities and take the leap of faith”.

Gauri is a first-generation graduate student.  That said, Gauri reflected that she “didn’t even realize it until mid-course. I didn’t think of inspiring others or leading a path when I was finding my own. I don’t think anyone does. We overcome our own struggles and challenges in a way that later becomes an example or inspiration to others. My challenges fueled my desire to achieve my goals, like in the case of most of our panelists”.

When asked about how Gauri sees herself in this predominantly white male discipline, she shared that “one might feel misfit at times, but that is exactly what our data and analytics solutions need. People from diverse backgrounds are not outliers. Therefore, we are an important part of the scatterplot and an out of the place data point, which will significantly rectify the biased model”.

And Gauri has great advice for new students entering this field.  “You might feel like a misfit. Don’t let that hold you back. The path you take will be unique as your journey is unique. Stay true to who you are and focused on what you want to do. It always seems impossible until it is done”.

On behalf of Gauri Patil and Milgard Center for Business Analytics, we thank Jessica, Krystal, Lindsey and Aaron for their time to share their journeys into the field of data & analytics, as well as their uniquely qualified insights on this topic.

In closing, Gauri shared that “there is a long way to go for the equation to change in terms of diversity, inclusion, and equity for women and BIPOC. The majority might be biased right now, but one needs only a few to trust and support them to make it through. For me, it was Dr. Michael Helser, Dr. Haluk Demirkan, and Kris Berry in this MSBA program. Their unwavering support and encouragement is the wind beneath my wings, and I am grateful for it”.