SustDawg Blog

August 20, 2021

GEN ST 297 Freshman Seminar | Future-ish

Students at UW

In the not-so-distant future, we will learn calculus in kindergarten, design our own clothes and cars on handhelds, and enthusiastically keep our culture and traditions alive whether we are on Earth, the moon, or Mars

I lead a quarterly, discussion-oriented undergraduate seminar through First Year Programs that gives students the opportunity to explore future studies and the science, design, and culture shaping the future. This seminar will not only engage students in finding and researching trends that are shaping the future, it will provide tools and develop leadership skills so that students can help shape the future.

Links to past seminar posts:

2020-2021 | Spring
2021-2022 | Summer | Autumn | Winter | Spring

Feedback from students that have participated in the seminar:

I really liked the chance to reflect on things that are important to me, think deliberately about the big picture of those things, and learn some new methods for thinking deliberately about the future and things that I perceive as important. – Senior, Physics

I really enjoyed all the group discussions we had and learning about future studies in general. I didn’t know what future studies was prior to this seminar so I was surprised that there were multiple universities that offered programs in it. I think my biggest takeaway from this class is that it is important to look at problems and issues from different perspectives and considers different points of views. – Senior, Public Health/Global Health

I was surprised by how much fun I ended up having with some of the assignments. I really like trying to predict the future, and it’s useful that I learned some new tools and systems for doing that. I enjoyed the group discussions as well. The bests things I took away were the two exercises we did on alternate futures and future scenario planning. Both of them were personally useful to me. – Senior, Neuroscience

I really enjoyed that students were able to select their own topics for each assignment. This made each assignment relevant to each student’s interests. I wasn’t sure what the course would be like when I registered (I registered for the compelling course title) and I was not aware the future studies was its own academic field, but I feel that I now have a solid basic understanding of the field and I found all the topics to be interesting and well-connected. The processes for scenario planning and design charrettes are relevant to any form of planning effort. – Senior, Informatics

Enjoyed talking about ways to think about the future, especially the aspects surrounding foresight and forecasting. I will certainly bring these elements into my career moving forward. I also enjoyed the seminars on design thinking and scenario planning. – Senior, Computer Science

It surprised me how simple and versatile some of the tools were for future planning. Some could be used to strategize on personal problems in your own life or scaled up to a cooperative team effort on a large project. In the future, I hope to work in public health and public policy, both which are heavily influenced by forecasting and foresight. – Sophomore, Pre-Health Sciences