Food Waste & Food Insecurity: COVID-19

Since beginning the Political Ecology of the World’s Food System course, I find myself awakening to the way I, my family, my nation, and the world contribute to this planetary system. In the wake of COVID-19, one consequence of our current system that has been more apparent to me is food waste.

Due to the shutdown of bulk buyers like restaurants, the disruption of the food chain has led to farmers struggling to find the demand for their perishable products. As food banks are being overwhelmed by government-bought surplus donations, dairy farmers dump thousands of liters of milk. The abundance of food does not match my individual experience in the grocery store midst COVID-19 where food products appear limited.

The lack of food on the shelves is driven by fear buying and the shortage of labor that cannot keep up with new demands. Fear buying is cited to be a substantial contributor to the current exacerbation of food waste. While the US maneuvers surplus and food hoarding, other nations fear a food crisis due to job shortages and the halt of open trade.

A Call to Action put out by The Food and Land Use Coalition calls on world leaders to maintain open trade, strengthen social programs, and invest in domestic farming. This letter focuses on countries where food insecurity heavily affects their population, such as countries in Sub-Saharan Africa. Although this letter was written for and during the pandemic, the issues addressed such as malnutrition and access to healthcare have spanned long before Coronavirus.

Food waste and food insecurity are both products of our current system and with COVID-19 disrupting the ability of grocery store workers and trade, this pandemic has magnified pre-existing infrastructure deficiencies.

One thought on “Food Waste & Food Insecurity: COVID-19