Our Long Distance Relationship… with Food

Arisb’s post “Exotic…and I’m not talking about Joe” discusses contemplative practices in the sense of the intentional consumption of exotic food. Arisb makes a good point in the wide variety of food available to us in US grocery stores allows us to maintain cultural connections via food, because food isn’t locally sourced. For example you could buy a mango or watermelon year round at a Seattle grocery store even though it may not be the fruit’s season and fruit is definitely not grown in Washington. On one hand, this is a great power: we get to eat whatever we want whenever we want it as long as we can afford it, but on the other hand, it’s bred a culture of food ignorance. People, myself included, blindly consume with no thought to the source. 

Covid-19 may be the first time that many Americans are thinking about where their food comes from, as shelves at groceries stores are intermittently barren and it’s become impossible to find staples like yeast and flour (as the nation has become obsessed with baking bread), as well as many kinds of meat. News sources warn us of upcoming food shortages. However, the images of barren shelves are juxtaposed with images of farmers dumping their dairy and burying their vegetables.

Empty Meat Aisles at a Grocery Store (Image from Eater)

Dairy Farmer Dumping Milk (Image from Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)

It also makes me think about the section in the course, “Stuffed and Starved”, where we read an article that explained how Coronavirus could double the number of people going hungry due to major disruptions in the supply chain. However, simultaneously, some Americans have never been more stuffed due to their new lifestyle of working from home and boredom eating. Personally, I feel like I’m eating more than ever because of my long hours in front of the screen and little stimulation in my daily life. It makes me feel guilty to think of the countless snacks I’ve consumed in my cushy quarantine lifestyle as food may become increasingly hard for people to source globally. Why do we have so much excess when others starve? Tonight, I ate a grapefruit, and then I ate a Melona bar, and ate yogurt covered pretzels, and drank some sparkling water. Florida, South Korea, Washington, Georgia… Thousands of miles were spanned just so I could have a Monday night snack. Now that’s some food for thought. 

9 thoughts on “Our Long Distance Relationship… with Food

1. Use this Halara coupon code to receive exceptional savings on your next sportswear purchase. Whether you’re looking for attractive leggings, supportive sports bras, or comfortable loungewear, Halara has you covered with high-quality products that promote movement and style. Simply use this promo code at checkout to receive exceptional savings on your favorite fitness staples. Don’t pass up this opportunity to upgrade your fitness wardrobe for less with Halara.

2. Smokers World HW Posh is a convenient and user-friendly vaping device designed for simplicity and portability. These Posh come pre-filled with e-liquid and are equipped with an integrated battery, eliminating the need for charging or refilling. The HW Posh is known for its compact and lightweight design, making it an ideal choice for on-the-go vaping. Featuring a draw-activated mechanism, users can enjoy a hassle-free vaping experience without the need for buttons or complicated settings. The device is often disposable, making it suitable for both beginners and experienced vapers who prefer a straightforward and no-maintenance solution. With a variety of available flavors, the Smokers World HW Posh aims to provide a convenient and enjoyable vaping experience for users seeking simplicity and convenience.

3. Your blog taught me a lot, and I think you could have much more fun if you studied classic video games. I am excited to reminisce about our past games together. word wipe

4. Wilsdorf & Davis era il nome originale dell’azienda che in seguito divenne la repliche rolex Watch Company. Inizialmente, si limitavano a importare nel Regno Unito meccanismi svizzeri prodotti dal loro successivo partner Hermann Aegler, assemblandoli in lussuose custodie create dal marchio Dennison e da altri gioiellieri che vendevano i primi orologi dell’epoca e utilizzando i propri L’orologio trasporta un marchio personalizzato.

5. I have been looking for articles on these topics for a long time.
    I don’t know how grateful you are for posting on this topic.
    Thank you for the numerous articles on this site, I will subscribe to those links in my bookmarks and visit them often.
    Have a nice day

제이나인 토토 사이트 도메인
    제이나인 토토 사이트 순위
    제이나인 토토 유저
    제이나인 토토 일정
    제이나인 온라인 카지노 순위
    https://www.j9korea.com