Was Thomas Malthus Right?

In response to “Is this Hunger?” by Regular Joe

While reading his response to the “Hunger” contemplative practice, I noticed a pattern. “Regular Joe” thought about his own hunger, relayed it to the rest of the framework of world hunger, and tried to find solutions to the problem. This is a logical process for most (Identify problem with yourself –> expand to larger view –> look for a mend or solution).

To put it lightly, this process works for a lot of things, but world hunger is a different beast. It consumes the lives of tens of millions each year, most of which we don’t see because of our privilege. America is blessed with wealth, while other countries aren’t so lucky, so it is hard for us to think of hunger in a larger context.

A frame from Interstellar, a movie hypothesizing the future of agriculture.

To fight hunger in the present and in the future, I think we have to look to the past. In his claims, Thomas Malthus believed that human population/demand for food would far surpass supply of food in the coming decades or centuries. And while this could be a danger in the future, right now, Malthus was vastly mistaken overall. He saw around him a way of food production that was sloppy and downright slow by today’s standards, so no wonder he made this claim. But humanity, harnessing innovation, created numerous processes to optimize food growth, such as high-scale irrigation, crop rotation, genetically modified organisms, etc. These are some of the processes Regular Joe references in his response to “Hunger”, but I want to look at the future landscape of agriculture.

“Humanity is condemned by the tendency of population to grow geometrically while food production would increase only arithmetically”

-Thomas Malthus

To me, I look at the future of food production similarly to what I watched in the movie Interstellar, by Christopher Nolan. In this movie (taken place hundreds of years from now), the world has transitioned most of their citizens to agriculture-based careers, rather than accountants, athletes, movie-stars, etc. Because of the growing population, more food had to be produced, in areas that were optimal for food growth. I see the optimal growing zones on earth shifting more towards the poles (because of global warming) but I see humanity making the most out of it, squeezing all they can (agriculture-wise) out of their new situation.

References

Photo: https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2471590/how-interstellar-turned-christopher-nolan-into-an-actual-corn-farmer

Quote: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-malthus-predicted-1798-food-shortages/

6 thoughts on “Was Thomas Malthus Right?

1. Oyster e Perpetual replica rolex, la prima risalente addirittura al 1926, è stata la prima vera La cassa resistente all’acqua era sinonimo di orologeria, che arrivò molto più tardi e stabilì il rivoluzionario meccanismo del rotore che diede inizio alla moderna dinastia a carica automatica.

2. Rolex SA è il principale produttore di orologi di lusso al mondo che produce oltre 2.000 orologi al giorno che generano vendite per oltre 7 miliardi di dollari ogni anno. La società con sede in Svizzera produce, fornisce assistenza e distribuisce orologi da polso con i marchi Rolex e Tudor attraverso rivenditori autorizzati. È stata fondata nel 1905 da Hans Wilsdorf e Alfred Davis a Londra, in Inghilterra, ed è stata recentemente classificata al 57 ° posto tra i marchi più potenti al mondo.https://www.orologilusso.eu/

3. I have been looking for articles on these topics for a long time.
    I don’t know how grateful you are for posting on this topic.
    Thank you for the numerous articles on this site, I will subscribe to those links in my bookmarks and visit them often.
    Have a nice day

제이나인 토토 사이트 도메인
    제이나인 토토 사이트 순위
    제이나인 토토 유저
    제이나인 토토 일정
    제이나인 온라인 카지노 순위
    https://www.j9korea.com

• Wowsers, someone who isn’t an Ad-robot commented!
      It is terrifying to think of these two conceptual guggernauts colliding IRL. Tho, neither Malthus nor Darwin could have ever imagined the technological developments we have achieved – the potentially infinite realms of humanity’s stupidity and ingenuity will surely be tested to their limits.