Residential Life Recruitment

Residential Life Team

Meet the Staff

Leadership Team

Vicki Vanderwerf (She/Her/Hers) 
Director of Residential Life

Education M.S., College and Agency Counseling – Student Affairs, SUNY Plattsburgh
B.S., Business Administration, SUNY Oswego
Professional Interests Residential learning and engagement, recruitment and selection, and infusing accessibility, diversity, equity, and inclusion into policies, programs, and operations.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle The opportunity to engage in all the Seattle area has to offer – great recreational opportunities, an amazing food scene, and a variety of neighborhoods with so many different coffee shops to explore.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I really appreciate UW students’ dedication and commitment to learning in addition to the care they have for building an inclusive and just campus community

Amanda Roy (She/Her/Hers) 
Interim Assistant Director

North Campus & Diversity Initiatives

Education M.S., Higher Education, Florida State University
B.S., Economics, Florida State University
Professional Interests My professional interests include student leadership, experiential learning, higher education law, and social justice. I’m passionate about creating environments in which students can build professional skills, have autonomy and ownership of their on-campus experience, and serve as change agents and advocates for their communities.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle Seattle is a vibrant and eclectic city with something to offer to professionals of all levels. A commitment to being local and sustainable means that there’s no shortage of farmer’s markets, restaurants, festivals, and community activities to participate in – there is always something new to explore!
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I really appreciate that so many of our students and student staff have a drive and passion for being members of a global society. Whether this is an anticipated career in international law or a drive to studying abroad, our students are eager to foster cross-cultural relationships both in their own communities as well as on a much larger scale. It’s a joy to learn their stories and help facilitate connections with one another.

Angie Bradley (She/Her/Hers)
Assistant Director

North Campus & Diversity Initiatives

Education Ph.D., Educational Leadership, University of Nevada, Reno
M.S., College Student Affairs, Eastern Illinois University
B.S., Biological Sciences, Eastern Illinois University
Professional Interests I am interested in student experience and development within higher education, especially as it pertains to sense of belonging, inclusion, and equity initiatives. I am also passionate about the development of full-time higher education professionals. One of my favorite parts of working in higher education is watching students and professionals find a sense of belonging and a space where they can show up as their authentic selves.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle I am excited to continue discovering local businesses to support here in Seattle. Additionally, I love the wide array of outdoor activities available just minutes away from the city. There always seems to be something to do anywhere you go!
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW So far, I have learned that UW students are hardworking and creative! UW students are committed to their academics as well as their own development while they are on campus. I am excited to continue to learn from them during my time here at UW.

Kirsten Espiritu (She/Her/Hers) 
Assistant Director

Apartments & Engagement Initiatives

Education M.Ed., Student Development Administration, Seattle University
B.A., Psychology (minors: Women’s Studies and Cultural Anthropology), Seattle Pacific University
Professional Interests My professional interests include social justice, leadership development, student conduct and fostering environments for students to create and reflect on meaningful experiences.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle I love all the beautiful scenery the greater Seattle area has to offer and watching the seasons change.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I really enjoying having one-on-one interactions with students and hearing about what they are studying and how it relates to their passions and interests outside of the classroom. I am continually inspired by the many ways UW students use their education to make an impact on their communities and beyond.

Patrick Heneghan 
Assistant Director

Amenities

Education M.Ed., Student Affairs Administration, Western Washington University
B.A., Psychology, Minor: Film Studies, Minor: English, Western Washington University
Professional Interests I am interested in technology and social media and the effect it has on a student population, as well as the world at large. I also enjoy discussing with students the wide range of political and societal concerns impacting them and helping navigate through those issues.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle I really enjoy the wide range of culinary experiences you can have in Seattle. I also enjoy the modern urban feel that Seattle has, but also having the chance to easily leave the city for a quick day hike. I am also a big fan of drinking coffee while it rains outside.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I think one of my greatest highlights is that working with the students in the residence hall provides me the chance to see them change and grow throughout the year. I really appreciate how mindful and consciousness the students are. They are very determined to make a difference in the world and often discuss what impact they hope to achieve in changing the world for the better.

Michael Palacioz (He/Him/His) 
Assistant DirectorStudent Care & Conduct

M.A., Higher Education, University of Arizona
B.S., Chemistry (minor in Mathematics), Marshall University
Professional Interests I am interested in supporting students in their learning, growth, and development by supporting students as they learn how to navigate their identities, decision making, and what it means to be part of a community. I am also interested in how we can create environments where all students feel like they are valued and respected. Being a first generation college student myself, I hope to support first generation students navigate the university system.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle Seattle is an iconic city where this is so much to do and get involved in. While summer is my favorite time in the city, I enjoy the year round availability of exciting festivals, sporting events, concerts, and so much more. While I do appreciate the food options available in the city, I am a sweets person and enjoy the various ice cream and donut shops throughout the city. 
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I appreciate that UW students come from various backgrounds and bring their own stories and lived experiences. They are passionate and driven and I am excited to continue to learn from them. 

Zach Oscar (He/Him/His) 
Operations Specialist

Education M.B.A, Eastern Illinois University
B.A., Business Management, Eastern Illinois University
Professional Interests Supporting first generation students, student staff development, providing operational support to a team, and continued personal learning.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle Public transportation and the walkability of the city. I enjoy being close to downtown and the national parks.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I appreciate the experience of working with such a diverse student population, and the opportunity to learn from them.

Zan Tansey (He/Him/His) 
Assistant Director

West Campus & Sustainability Initiatives

Education M.A., Higher Education Administration, New York University
B.A., Liberal Studies with an emphasis in Elementary Education, Sonoma State University
Professional Interests My professional interests include the student residential experience and the role that it plays in supporting student success throughout their education, policy development and advocacy for equitable access to higher education, and the support and development of professional staff as they enter and persist in the field.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle I love exploring Seattle and playing tourist! Food is one of my main motivators, I’m always excited to find delicious new restaurants to share with friends!
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I appreciate how driven the students at UW are in pursuing both their studies and personal passions. It is a thrill to see the impact the students have on the campus community knowing they will take that drive and passion out into the world to do amazing things.

Community Managers - Apartments

Robin Searcy (She/Her/Hers) 
Area Director

Cedar Apartments

B.A., Psychology, Valdosta State University
Professional Interests I am interested in leadership development and encouraging self-discovery and advocacy for our students. 
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle I am new to Seattle and it feels like an easy place to navigate. It is great for public transportation and allowing for random adventures in different areas. The possibilities to explore feel abundant but not overwhelming. There is a nice intersection of city and nature, and it is really beautiful to witness.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I enjoy that students are very inquisitive here. They are focused on their very unique goals and open to exploring varying topics. I also like that students do not shy away from voicing their needs or concerns regarding more macro issues on campus. 

Alexa Zambrano 
Resident Director

Mercer Court A/B/C

Resident Director Alexa Zambrano portrait
Education M.A., International Education, University of Manchester – England
B.S., Biological Sciences, Florida State University
Professional Interests My professional interests include equity, diversity and inclusion work, and the international student experience.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle Apart from the beautiful natural landscape and unique city, I love the wide variety of food choices available in Seattle. As a self-proclaimed foodie, I am always looking to try something new and exciting. 
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I appreciate their constant commitment to asking questions and their drive to improve for the better. They are not afraid to be challenged and use their voice to make a difference in the community.

Danny Casino (They/Them/Theirs)
Resident Director 

Stevens Court

Education B.S., Molecular, Cellular, Developmental Biology, Minors in Classical Studies and Latin
Professional Interests My professional interests include, diversity, equity, and inclusion, and encouraging students to advocate for their own needs and interests.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle I love how easy it is to explore the Seattle area, and that I am always close to water, a mountain, or a forest and that there is a variety of indoor activities as well. There is always something to do and some new hobby to discover.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW Every student is here pursuing or discovering a passion that ties in their own identities and experiences, and they are all so excited to shape that experience to be perfect for their own needs.

Tatyana So (She/Her/Hers)
Resident Director

Education B.A., Psychology, Minors: Diversity & Education, Learning and Society, University of Washington
Professional Interests My professional interests include student leadership development and advocacy around diversity, equity, and inclusion. I am passionate about supporting students as they explore their own identity while creating environments that foster opportunity for self-advocacy and growth.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle I love the atmosphere of Seattle; I have lived here my entire life and continue to find more things to love about this city! I am a total foodie and boba connoisseur and Seattle has so many great options/places to try.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I appreciate how passionate and hardworking UW Students are! I’m always in awe of how motivated students continue to be as they advocate and support each other and their community. The constant drive to learn more, ask difficult questions, and work on their academic and professional development.

Community Managers - North Campus

Linds Whittaker 
Area Director

Hansee Hall

Education M.A., Philosophy, Virginia Tech
B.A., Greek, Latin, and Philosophy, University of Vermont
Professional Interests My professional interests include restorative practices/justice implementation within community building, critical pedagogy that pulls from the null curricula, and both locating and reducing systemic barriers for queer and trans students within broader university structures. While we may be incentivized to settle for creating spaces that accept difference and diversity, within housing there are robust opportunities to shift towards a space that is nurturing and where folks can bring and be their full authentic selves.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle In addition to the rad balance between city, nature, and all the awesome food, I really appreciate how many opportunities there are to engage in grassroots initiatives and mutual aid networks. Folks are willing to learn, grow, change, and act to support one another and that’s definitely an upshot of being in Seattle.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I appreciate both how curious they are about the world and their willingness to ask the hard questions that, in turn, call on us to critically examine our traditions, assumptions, and ways of building community.

Adam Grayck (He/Him/His)
Resident Director

Madrona Hall

Education M.Ed., Higher Education and Student Affairs Administration, University of Vermont
B.A., Women and Gender Studies, University of North Carolina at Chapel HillA.A., Liberal Studies, Community College of Vermont
Professional Interests My general professional interest is grounded in building community and connection through the social science of Restorative Practices. Specific areas of higher education that I am interested in implementing Restorative Practices are residential life, student organization advising, study abroad, and academic advising.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle I relocated to Seattle from the east coast because of the exciting opportunities the city has to offer. I love being in a place where I am both surrounded by nature and can hop on the light rail after work to see a baseball game. Hard to pick one thing!
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I appreciate how students at UW strive to foster inclusivity, ask questions, advocate for each other, and lean into difficult conversations with the aim of creating positive experiences for the community.

Maria Barinova (She/Her/Hers)
Resident Director

McMahon Hall

Education M.S., Clinical Mental Health Counseling from SUNY Plattsburgh

B.A., Mathematics from SUNY Oswego

A.S., Math & Science from Onondaga Community College

Professional Interests My professional interests include working with international students and helping transition to life in a new country, emergency and crisis response management, restorative practices and integrating those into student conduct, and working with faith-based student services/organization and helping students feel comfortable practicing their spirituality/religion within the residence halls.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle I like how much there is to do here and there is something for everyone. From watersports, to different types of gyms, movie theaters, shows, the ballet, outdoorsy activities, etc. there is always an activity you can find that you like.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW The students here are very intelligent and hardworking. I love listening to whatever project they’re working on. They’re all very passionate and love to talk about their interests.

Skye Flores (She/Her/Hers)
Resident Director

McCarty Hall

Education M.A., Student Affairs Administration, Michigan State University
B.A., Anthropology, Sonoma State University
Professional Interests Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging in Higher Education, Residential Learning Models, Policy and Governance in Higher Education
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle The high density of restaurants and activities, as well as public socialization spaces available. There is something for everybody and every interest, and the stellar public transit system makes it all so accessible.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW In my time here I’ve noticed how dedicated student leaders are to their role, and the energy they put into ensuring they do their jobs well. They are genuinely here to connect to their peers and appreciate the guidance and advice prostaff have to offer.

Community Managers - West Campus

Briana Bohannon (She/Her/They/Them)
Area Director

Terry Hall

Education M.S., Higher Education Administration, Florida International University
B.S., Human Development and Family Studies & Sociology, Michigan State University
Professional Interests My professional interests are leadership development, civic engagement, and social justice education. I enjoy the opportunity to empower students to cultivate experiences that maximize their time at university.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle I like how I can always find something new to do or experience! I can surround myself with nature or be within the cityscape in a matter of minutes.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I appreciate how UW students have a wide range of interests! I have found that UW students lean in to lead difficult conversations and care about their community.

Kayla Yahnke (She/Her/Hers)
Area Director

Poplar Hall

Jacquelyn Acosta 
Resident Director

Maple Hall

Education M.Ed., Post-secondary Administration and Student Affairs, University of Southern California
B.A., Political Science (Pre-Law) (Minor in English), California State University – Los Angeles
Professional Interests Diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging are core facets of my work/personal philosophy and enable me to scaffold the student experience. My professional interests include public policy; particularly higher education, civic and adult learning, and social justice.  
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle Seattle truly embodies the balance of cityscape and nature. There’s something to do for everybody. Whether you’re artsy, outdoorsy, foodie, or simply want a relaxed day, you’ll always find something to do. What I appreciate the most is how easy it is to step away from the city and enjoy nature!
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW The students at UW are open-minded, creative, and willing to question the “norm”. I admire the community our students develop and how they show up for each other and makes me proud to support their UW journey.

Lilly Keplinger 
Resident Director

Alder Hall

Education M.Ed., College Student Affairs, Rutgers University
B.A., Psychology, University of Maryland, Baltimore County
Professional Interests ADEI, Student Leadership, Staff Retention, and Civic Engagement
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle I am new to Seattle but have been enjoying all the fantastic food this area offers.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I appreciate UW students’ willingness to engage with the big picture and advocate for themselves and others. 

Zach Bocanegra (He/Him/His)
Resident DirectorLander Hall
Education M.A.T., Teaching, Seattle Pacific University
B.A., History, University of Washington
Professional Interests My professional interests include supporting student well-being and leadership through the work of relationship building and community development. I enjoy talking to students to identify what they are passionate about, their values, and their goals in life. I seek the opportunity to empower students to create meaningful experiences that fulfill their time at university.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle I have lived in Seattle for the better part of eight years and I fall in love with it more each day. I appreciate all that Seattle has to offer from great restaurants to a plethora of fantastic record stores. Seattle is very accessible with a great public transportation system that can get you to Mariners games in minutes or explore the beauty of our parks and nature that surround us.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I appreciate how passionate students at UW are. They are driven to make the most of their academic opportunities and to better the communities they are involved in.

Specialists

Alexa Forster (She/Her/Hers)
Specialist

Leadership & Programming

B.A., Sociology, University of Washington
Professional Interests Retention and engagement particularly among student-athletes really interests me. I’m also interested in career discernment and services as well as higher education law.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle I love being in a place with such wide diversity from the people, to the neighborhoods, to the events and activities. I’ve lived in the Seattle area my whole life and still find ways to meet new people and explore different parts of the city. I also love that the mountains and ocean are both a short drive away.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW The students we work with at UW are incredibly bright and intelligent. They challenge me to think differently and to strive for excellence in the work that I do in student leadership. They consistently demonstrate a high standard for quality and care in their student leadership roles which I love as well.

Alyssa Hall 
Residence Education Specialist

West Campus Operations

Education B.A., Political Science, Minor: Informatics, University of Washington
Professional Interests I am passionate about student development and creating experiences that can translate to whatever comes next for our students and student employees. I love cultivating spaces that encourage community building amongst residents while allowing them to explore their own creativity and interests.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle Seattle has so much to offer- great green spaces, amazing concert venues that bring in a wide range of acts, and always a reliable food spot around the corner.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW The students at UW are driven to excel at everything they do! That includes their hobbies and extracurriculars and it is what makes it so fun to provide outlets for their creativity through our amenities programs.

Amy Collins (She/Her/Hers) 
Psychologist Liaison

Care & Conduct

Education Ph.D., Psychology, Texas A&M University
Professional Interests Providing individual, group, and crisis counseling to students, and supporting and consulting with Residential Life staff.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle I like having nearby opportunities to explore nature.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I appreciate working with a diverse population of students and getting to help them work toward their goals.

Dei Caudle 
Instructor Technician

The MILL

Education B.S., Physics, University of Washington
Professional Interests I am interested in empowering students and staff members to use their vision and creativity to achieve their goals. I want to lower the barrier of entry to teach useful skills to everyone, especially to communities that may be underrepresented in makerspaces.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle I like being near everything I want to do. It’s a gorgeous area with a vibrant and diverse community.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW All of the students here are remarkably clever and good at what they choose to do. I love speaking with them and learning about their talents and passions and seeing how they apply those in their lives to achieve their goals.

Nick Vitalone (He/Him/His)
Specialist

Training & Selection

Education M.Ed., Student Affairs Administration in Higher Education, UNC Greensboro
B.S., Television, Radio, & Film and Psychology, Syracuse University
Professional Interests My professional interests include student employment as a high impact practice including critically thinking about each part of a student employee’s path and how that can impact not only the workplace but also their individual trajectories from application to exit survey. Additionally, I am passionate about assessment and leveraging it whenever possible across many aspects of my work.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle The variety of things to do around Seattle is amazing. There is always something for everyone not too far away. The city is incredibly easy to get around using the busses or light rail which makes a lot of opportunities easily accessible even if you don’t have a car.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I appreciate the passion and drive that UW students bring to the campus and residential communities. They are willing to advocate for themselves and their peers and I enjoy the  ways that this challenges me to grow and better support our students.

Rebecca Weygandt 
Specialist

Conduct & Incident Response

Education M.A., Reconciliation and Intercultural Studies, Seattle Pacific University
B.A., Intercultural Communications, Hope College
Certification – InterGroup Dialogue, University of Michigan
Professional Interests I am enthusiastic about student development and seeing students define success for themselves through periods of challenge and growth. This involves topics around personal values, identity, decision making, wellness, and living in community. I enjoy being a part of a team that has the opportunity to positively contribute to a student’s overall experience at UW.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle There’s something for everyone! We are surrounded by a wide variety of neighborhoods, natural beauty, culture and arts, and culinary tastes. I’m always finding new local businesses to support, things to do, and places to explore. Every day is an adventure in Seattle if you’re open to it.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW One thing I really appreciate about students at UW is their dedication to education and their passion for community. UW Students strive to grow, learn, and leave a lasting positive impact in their community and the world. They inspire me to push the limits and work hard to become a better professional.

Valeria Villa (She/Her/Hers)
Specialist

Student Leadership & Equity

Education M. Ed, Student Development Administration, Seattle University (anticipated 2024)
B.A., International Affairs and Political Science, Minor: Chinese Studies, Minor: French Studies, University of Nevada, Reno
Professional Interests Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice, Wellness and Mental Health
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle Nature all around us! 
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW Building relationships while supporting their personal and professional development.

Support Staff

April Masters (She/Her/Hers)
Program Coordinator

Student Care & Conduct

Education B.A., Early Childhood and Family Studies, University of Washington
Professional Interests Ensuring that students and their families have a positive experience while at UW. Providing support and resources to students in order to set them up for success, both in and out of the classroom.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle Being so close to so many things. You are never far from a good hike, a great view, or a Mariners game. I love the weather and the sun when Spring rolls around.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW As a previous student at UW, I love to connect with current residents to hear about their experience at UW. Sharing stories and hearing about the current campus climate is a great way to be engaged with students. Overall, we have such a passionate student body, and I feel like I learn something new after each meeting interaction I have with them.

Cohleen Villejo Banks 
Program Coordinator

Operations

Education B.A., Medical Anthropology & Global Health
Professional Interests I am interested in how the social determinants of health impact the student experience and how we can remove barriers to set students up for success. I am also passionate about continuing Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging work for our students and staff.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle There is always something interesting and exciting happening throughout Seattle. From being able to witness a wedding at the Gum Wall or visiting the Seattle Underground, adventure always awaits.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I really appreciate seeing how the students cultivate community in creative and unique ways.

Kiana Kahusi (She/Her/Hers)
Program Assistant

North Campus & Apartments

Education B.A., Psychology (Minor in Leadership Studies), Seattle Pacific University
Professional Interests I am interested in creating spaces and professional opportunities for everyone who has not had those things before. Creating community that works to understand and develop connections with people helps us push and work through distance between groups. I really enjoy seeing how growth in connection impacts how folks show up each day to work.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle There are truly times I love how small Seattle feels! Knowing people when you are walking on the street, getting to know business owners, and finding community (even when it is not super easy) has made Seattle feel like home.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I appreciate how students are passionate and stay passionate for what really matters. Seeing students of all ages broaden their understanding of the world they are living in, and re/ igniting that passion is such an important part of the higher education experience.

Jiemyjoyce Reduque (They/Them/She/Her)
Program Coordinator

Amenities

Education B.S., Ethnic Studies, Oregon State University
Professional Interests Supporting the student experience through education on inclusion, equity, and belonging. I am also interested on critiquing space and occupation of space in university settings.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle Like many others, one of my favorite things being in Seattle would have to be the food options! I have been enjoying exploring Seattle and making a “to try” list of different restaurants and experiences. My list has only been growing from all the recommendations from those around me and as I walk around different areas of Seattle.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I appreciate the amount of passion and initiative that UW students have to change their campus community as well as the other places that each of them calls home. They have not only empowered themselves but have created and facilitated safe spaces for each other.

Maureen Calhoun (She/Her/Hers)
Program Assistant

West Campus

Education B.A., Political Science, University of Missouri
Professional Interests Identifying and working to remove the ever-evolving barriers that exist for first-generation college students in entering higher education and achieving a fulfilling college experience.
One thing you like about working and/or living in Seattle I love the mystique of the city – the ocean, mountains, and forests surrounding us often feels surreal.
One thing you appreciate about working with students at UW I love to see students create a community for themselves and each other! UW students are not afraid to challenge barriers.