Meet our Staff: Kim Contreras

picture of young female library employee in front of book shelf
Photo courtesy of Marcia Monroe

It takes a team of dedicated staff to make a library run.  We are fortunate to work with amazing UW Tacoma undergraduates! Their energy, dedication, and attention to detail makes the UW Tacoma Library the place that it is! We are thus excited to share another “Meet our Staff” post!

Kim Contreras is a University of Washington Tacoma undergraduate who will be graduating this spring!

1. What did you major in/are you majoring in at UWT? I am an arts, media, and culture major, and a criminal justice minor. I am a senior set to graduate this spring.
  2. What drew you to working in libraries? I first started working here at the UWT library when I was a freshman, and back then what drew me was the ambiance. Growing up I loved the environment that libraries cultivated and spent my childhood just passing time in my public and school libraries. What keeps me interested now is a combination of both the atmosphere and my interactions with patrons.
  3. What parts of your job are you most excited about?  I like being a part of something bigger, of a department on campus that is dedicated to the betterment, inclusivity, and knowledge of its community. I particularly enjoy the interactions I have with patrons and helping them however I can.
  4. Have you read anything good lately? With classes, I unfortunately haven’t been able to read as much as I would like, but I do plan on reading M.R. Carey’s The Girl with All the Gifts soon. I’ve recently seen the movie and loved it, so I have to think that the book is even better.
  5. Any advice for UWT students? Get involved on campus, whether that be a campus job, joining a club, or participating in events. You’ll have a great time, make new experiences, and meet great people. Engaging with my college community and working at the campus library allowed to meet some pretty amazing people and made me realize that I want to work in libraries.