The UW Tacoma Library, in collaboration with the Center for Equity and Inclusion, is pleased to announce that its social justice book club, Real Lit[erature], will meet remotely this summer for the very first time!
Now, more than ever, we understand the importance of the community building function of the book club. By meeting online in a social setting, we canreduce isolation and enhance campus education through peer-based discussion groups.
The goals of Real Lit have always been to create a greater awareness and discussion of the experiences that are being had by our students, staff, and community members. By interacting with narratives that reflect different experiences, it has provided opportunities to dialogue with peers about shared and disparate experiences.
Thirteen of the most accomplished YA authors deliver a label-defying anthology that includes ten short stories, a graphic novel, and a one-act play from Walter Dean Myers never before in-print. This collection addresses topics like gentrification, acceptance, untimely death, coming out, and poverty and ranges in genre from contemporary realistic fiction to adventure and romance. It will inspire you to break conventions, bend the rules, and color outside the lines. All you need is fresh ink.”
Anyone affiliated with UW Tacoma is welcome to join: students, faculty, staff! Here a bit about the book from the publisher’s website and a clip from an NPR interview:
AUTHORS INCLUDE: Schuyler Bailar, Melissa de la Cruz, Sara Farizan, Sharon G. Flake, Eric Gansworth, Malindo Lo, Walter Dean Myers, Daniel José Older, Thien Pham, Jason Reynolds, Aminah Mae Safi, Gene Luen Yang, Nicola Yoon.
Real Lit Remote Details
- We will be conducting these sessions online via Zoom video conference calls.
- Sessions are held Thursdays 11-12 starting 7/2.
- Real Lit is completely optional and you will not be graded.
- Students receive electronic copies of books on a first-come, first-serve basis. Preference given to folks who can attend most meetings.
- Zoom video sessions can be close-captioned. We will work with you for further disability accommodation.
- If you love to read and have conversations about the book, then Real Lit is the perfect place for you to find community!
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com if you have questions.