Hunger and the Hungry

Right now millions of Muslims across the globe are fasting for the holy month of Ramadan. Fasting is a time of “spiritual discipline—of deep contemplation of one’s relationship with God, extra prayer, increased charity and generosity, and intense study of the Quran.” Fasting encourages compassion for those without food by reminding you what it’s like to suffer from hunger.

Muslims wait to break their fast on the 21st day of the holy month of Ramadan at Jama Masjid on June 6, 2018, in New Delhi, India.

Breaking fast in Jama Masjid, New Delhi (2018)

Therefore fasting—practiced across many religions and cultures—is a way in which we recognize our common human fragility. From participating in the “Feeling Hunger” contemplative practice I was reminded of how we are all at the mercy of our own bodies. For that day I was forced to confront the discomfort of scarcity. As I focused on the uncomfortable yet grounding ache at my core I realized my dependency on all the interconnected systems I subconsciously rely on—the grocery stores, the truck drivers, the farmers, and the money in my pocket that gives me the power to satiate that hunger. Underneath the inequalities we are all ruled by that most basic instinct of self-preservation.  Reconciliation with that feeling, then, should underpin our decision making in the realm of world food system’s political ecology.

Heartbreaking' scene in Iowa as mountains of potatoes are laid to ...

A mountain of dumped potatoes in Picabo, Idaho

During the contemplative practice I found my mind wandering to the events of these past few months. It’s hard to ignore the mounting concern about COVID-19’s impact on food systems. The pandemic could cause a colossal spike in hunger—hunger not out of spiritual or religious practice but out of a failure to connect the surplus potatoes being dumped and families struggling to put food on the table. On a global scale, developing countries are expected to be hit hard with widespread food shortages, creating a “crisis within a crisis” of coronavirus outbreaks compounded by hunger.

Hunger is not an issue of the past but an issue of today. Some people are stuffed while others are starved. Food waste, population growth, price fluctuations, distribution networks, natural disasters, and power disparities combine to perpetuate hunger. Remembering the pain of hunger highlights the injustice of a world food system that still leaves millions hungry. We all know the feeling of hunger, but only some of us are the 820 million suffering from undernourishment—the hungry.

5 thoughts on “Hunger and the Hungry

1. Hey. I’ve used their platform multiple times, and I’m always impressed with the quality of work they deliver. The writers are knowledgeable and consistently produce well-researched, coherent papers that meet all my requirements. The website is user-friendly, making it easy to place orders and communicate with the writers. Their customer support team is responsive and helpful, ensuring a smooth and stress-free experience. Whether you’re facing tight deadlines or tackling a complex topic, my paper help https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/mypaperhelp.com is a reliable and professional solution. I highly recommend their services to anyone seeking academic success!

2. Greetings to everyone on the forum! I would very much like to share my positive experience using MyGlobalFlowers flower delivery service. Recently I needed to order flowers for a work colleague, and I decided to try this site. I was very satisfied! https://myglobalflowers.com/flowers/same-day/birthday offers a huge selection of floral arrangements that are suitable for any occasion. All bouquets are created by professional florists, which guarantees their high quality and durability. My colleague was pleasantly surprised and noted that the flowers were fresh and very beautiful.

3. Mythic 10 dungeons in World of Warcraft represent a formidable challenge for seasoned adventurers, requiring skill, coordination, and perseverance to overcome. With increased difficulty comes greater rewards, including powerful gear and prestigious achievements. For those seeking to conquer these daunting trials or needing assistance, Gamingcy’s Mythic 10 service provides invaluable support. Their expertise ensures every party can navigate the treacherous depths of Mythic dungeons and emerge victorious. Prepare for the ultimate test of skill and strategy at https://gamingcy.com/en-us/product/mythic-10.