Meet our Staff: Mikayle Boswell

Meet our Staff, TLB library building, UW Tacoma Library logo, image of African American manWeek 2 of the Quarter, Huskies! You’ve got this!

Normally you get to know our UW Tacoma Library staff by stopping by our desks in SNO and TLB. Since that isn’t possible at the moment, we wanted to introduce you to our staff in a series of blog posts.  Remember, we are here for you via 24/7 chat, drop-in help, or you can schedule an appointment with your liaison librarian.

Meet Mikayle!

How do you work with faculty and students in your current role at the UW Tacoma Library?

I work with Access Services, so I assist with any questions that students and patrons may have. Also, I do administrative work, as well as make sure the library is functioning efficiently and effectively.

What drew you to working in libraries?

Since my freshman year, I went to the library to study and decompress. I attended a Career Fair on campus and found that the libraries were hiring. Once I got the job, I was introduced to all the resources the library provided for students. Initially, the library served as a stress reliever, but once I was familiarized with what the libraries offered, I was happy to be able to share with my peers.

What parts of your job are you most excited about?

Being able to help out other students and find new material (books, news, media) while working. I have two jobs on campus, which allows me to coordinate information between the libraries and housing and residence life on campus.

How has your job shifted because of COVID-19?

The online format took a bit to get used to. But all other aspects of my other work had a similar format, which eased the process. The main shift is a lower population within the library. No negative impacts thus far.

Have you read or watched anything good lately?

Television shows I recommend are Devs (FX), Barry (HBO), We Are Who We Are (HBO), and Lovecraft Country (HBO).

Any advice for UWT students?

Make sure to take care of yourself. It is a very tough time and school can contribute to a lot of stress. Do not be afraid to reach out if you need help with anything. Students and staff are willing to help you. Enjoy your time at UWT. There are a lot of great opportunities and great people. If you are a new student, it may not feel like it at first, but it all goes FAST. No pressure though.