Select Page

Howard Schafer with catPlease join us in welcoming Howard Schafer, our new GME Wellness Counselor!  Howard starts with us Monday, June 27.  Howard is a marriage and family therapist, with over 20 years of experience. He has worked in multiple medical settings with a diverse population.  His strong clinical skill set, a sense of compassion, deep respect and commitment to health and wellness will enhance our team and serve our trainees well.  We are thrilled to have him on board! Look for Howard’s schedule to open on Schedulicity soon – more details to follow.

Below is Howard’s welcome message to the GME community:

In the midst of the winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
~Camus

A bit about me…

I have been a marriage and family therapist for over two decades, working as a counselor and guide for hundreds of clients over the years. It’s been an honor and privilege to call this my life’s work. But this is just the beginning of my story…

I am inextricably connected to my professional skills, bringing my own life experiences marching from the beat of a different drum. Beginning with an AB degree in Literature and Cross Cultural Communication that took me around the world; to an MA in English Literature; to a college instructor teaching English as a Second Language; then an MS in Psychology and the true start of my avocation. Life has always had its winters but it’s always taken me to the place I needed to be at that time.

This mosaic of experiences has brought to my practice a healthy sense of humor, successes and failures and a respectful reverence for the art and mystery of this work which in turn has fortified my commitment to the health and wellness community. I have worked in multiple medical settings with a diverse population focusing on stress and crisis management, depression, anxiety, grief, mood and eating disorders, in addition to LGBTQ+, academic, and work related issues.

My role as a therapist is as a compassionate ally and guide. My approach provides each individual a safe environment as they rediscover their own language and re-chart or re-author their lives in order to find meaning and balance in a world that sometimes feels out of control.  My solution-focused approach incorporates motivational interviewing, mindfulness and narrative practices.

I believe in the importance of holding hope when things are really bad, and when they continue to get worse. I hold onto the hope that people can change, circumstances can change and despite where you are now, the power of human persistence and perseverance will prevail.

But this isn’t the end of my story…

The beauty of the PNW has been inspirational since we moved here 30 years ago…the forests…the beaches…the green, and, even the rain.

The arts are a big part of my life. As are peaceful trips to the Oregon Coast and hikes in the forest. But the moments that provide the greatest pleasure are having a great conversation with friends over an amazing meal, or just hanging out with my wife and cats (yes, Henri has a sister)…and a dose of daily meditation and exercise doesn’t hurt.

A bit about my assistant Henri…he’s a slow typist and takes a few too many naps. He’s also easily distracted by a seemingly “empty” belly. But he’s an affable chap and a reliable friend and ally.

I am excited to embrace a new path in my life as I join the GME Wellness team. This is an incredible opportunity to help support the UW medical residents, fellows and their partners during this challenging and rewarding time in their career.