Melody Chu, (PGY-1)

[she/her/hers]

Contact Me

3 + 5 =

Hometown

Portland, OR

College

UC Berkeley

Medical School

USC

About you

I grew up in Portland, OR but then my family and myself moved to California, so I haven’t lived in the NW for about 10 years. I spent 2 gap years before Med school working in healthcare consulting in SF. I’m a mixed introvert/extrovert, so I love spending time with friends but can also be a homebody at the same time. I moved here with my partner who is not in medicine and it’s also his first time living in Seattle!

Winter or Summers in Seattle? and why?

Summer! It’s beautiful and you can enjoy all the outdoors

Why UW/Seattle Children’s Peds? 

This program has an amazing reputation – I only heard great things about it along the interview trail. It’s hard to tell over zoom but the culture here is so collaborative, accepting, and is such a positive learning environment. We see the most complex of patients but also have a strong primary care emphasis, which is hard to find a good balance of in many other programs. The attendings are also SO nice and approachable!!

Any specific interests? Residency or non-residency?

Possibly NICU hospitalist, community hospitalist, overall undecided! Outside of residency – huge foodie, snowboarding, also a homebody that likes to sit at home and read

What do you like about Seattle?

It’s convenient, public transportation is accessible, new construction, it’s a small city but has the major things you would want in a city, the water and the nature is beautiful!

What questions would you love to answer for potential applicants?

Living in Seattle for the first time, moving with a partner not in medicine, comparing/contrasting West Coast programs,