Steph Stamnes, (PGY-1)

[she/her/hers]

Contact Me

1 + 6 =

Hometown

Pleasant Hill, CA (Bay Area)

College

Gonzaga University

Medical School

Saint Louis University School of Medicine

About you

I was born and raised in the Bay Area in California. I completed my undergrad degree (bio major with religious studies minor) at Gonzaga University in Spokane WA, where I did ecological climate change research, studied abroad in Ecuador, played rugby, and fell in love with the state of Washington. Medical school took me to St. Louis, Missouri, where I met my partner (who is not in medicine), adopted two cats, and realized my calling in Pediatrics. I’m thrilled to now be in Seattle for residency!

Winter or Summers in Seattle? and why?

I’ve only experienced Seattle summer so far, but it was fantastic! Three months of beautiful weather and lots of amazing places to soak up the sunshine. Picnics at Gasworks, hikes around Mt. Rainier, and relaxing on the Magnuson Park beaches were my favorite summertime staples.

Why UW/Seattle Children’s Peds? 

Deciding on a residency program is a very personalized choice, but for me, Seattle Children’s ticked all the boxes. I knew I wanted a program that valued and prioritized it’s residents, and I had a very strong sense of support and cohesion amongst residents and faculty during my interview day. I felt like everyone I interacted with truly were taking the time to get to know me, my interests, and goals, which left me with the sense that this program values our personal as well as professional aspirations. Though it’s only been a few short months since the start of residency, I can say with confidence that the people here genuinely do go above and beyond to look out for one another. Wellness is a huge priority of mine, and having a larger program that could provide opportunities, be well connected, and have a robust backup system were also important to me. I haven’t decided on what to specialize in, and appreciated the breadth of opportunities available at SCH to help me make that choice. I’ll also mention the diverse and complex patient population we serve, with ample opportunities to develop autonomy in patient care decisions, both of which provide an excellent training environment.

Any specific interests? Residency or non-residency?

Wellness, advocacy, cooking/baking, hiking, movie nights

What do you like about Seattle?

There is so much to do here! I’m absolutely a foodie and have been overwhelmed with the amount of places I’m excited to try! Also, love being close to the mountains (alpine lakes are my favorite place on earth).

What questions would you love to answer for potential applicants?

Happy to talk about moving from the Midwest, having a partner not in medicine, academic medicine, physician wellness, international travel, being far from family, maintaining physical and mental health in residency, being a pet owner in residency, and anything else on your mind!